The Volunteer Services Centre (VSC) is responsible for providing timely and high-quality transactional services in the sourcing, identification and recruitment of UN Volunteers, as well as in the management of the conditions of service of volunteers globally. VSC works in close collaboration with the Volunteer Advisory Services and Volunteer Solutions Sections at headquarters, as well as with Regional Offices and Field Units to ensure seamless and consolidated services in accordance with regulations and rules, pertinent policies and internal procedures.
Administered by the Manager, Regional Office, the Operations Associate, National Volunteer Recruitment reports directly to the Operations Associate, Volunteer Services, who coordinates volunteer services for a specific portfolio. The Operations Associate, National Volunteer Recruitment provides support to the identification of national UN Volunteers for duty stations with no UNV presence or no Programme Assistant. He/she also supports outreach efforts to feed the UNV’s talent pool with relevant quality profiles to meet the demand for national UN Volunteers. Providing support to multiple countries within a specific region, he/she focuses on improved efficiencies to expedite placement and works closely with other VSC Operations Associates to streamline processes and maximize output.
Identification of suitable candidates for national UNV assignments
- Verify quality and consistency of Description of Assignments (DOAs), especially that required educational and professional background corresponds to the tasks and responsibilities of the assignment;
- Identify suitable candidates for national UN Volunteer assignments, according to DOA requirements and as per corporate Key Performance Indicators, using talent management to ensure the strongest caliber of candidates;
- Contact long-listed candidates ascertaining their interest and availability;
- Advertise relevant assignments in line with established processes;
- Comply with all procedures pertaining to the selection of volunteers for specific assignments;
- Check references and verify performance appraisals for selected candidates ensuring they match established standards of competence and integrity;
- Keep relevant parties updated on status of identification and negotiate adjustments when required;
- Record actions and data in the volunteer management systems as per policies.
Talent sourcing and acquisition
- Liaise within the Regional Office to keep abreast of evolving demand for national UN Volunteers profiles in the portfolio;
- Support regional and national outreach campaigns in coordination with the VSC Talent Acquisition and Management Specialist, the VSC Talent Pool team and the Communication Associate in the Regional Office;
- Support the development of a network of local talent sources as per corporate strategy;
- Support the development and maintenance of national talent pools by VSC Talent Pool team;
- Represent UNV at talent sourcing and outreach events, as necessary.
Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing
- Synthetize lessons learned in national UN Volunteers identification with the aim to improve VSC timely and quality delivery;
- Provide inputs as required on identification processes and systems;
- Contribute to the design of capacity building activities and materials related to the identification of National UN Volunteers.
Perform other administrative duties as may be required.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Knowledge of recruiting issues, procedures, and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations to secure quality candidates
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
- Secondary education with technical training in human resources, business administration or related areas;
- University degree in human resources, business administration or related areas is desirable but is not a requirement.
- 6 years of relevant experience in personnel management, including recruitment, and in business processes;
- Knowledge of the conditions of service of the UN Common System or of international organizations is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Arabic;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and office software packages (ERP, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is highly desirable.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Important applicant information:
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters:
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.