The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is the premier multilateral development institution within Latin America and the Caribbean region. At the IDB, the region is divided into four country departments responsible for the promotion and development of country strategies, the programming of operations, and the management of resources and of their respective portfolio of operations. The Caribbean Country Department (CCB) has a regional office based in Jamaica,
country offices located in Barbados, Guyana, Suriname, The Bahamas, and Trinidad and Tobago, and an office located at the Headquarters of the IDB Group in Washington DC.
CCB is transforming the way it conducts business to effectively and efficiently serve its clients. The department strives to improve lives in the Caribbean by creating vibrant and sustainable economies where people are safe, productive, and happy. Therefore, we are seeking a highly motivated individual, with demonstrated leadership, international development, project and portfolio management and analytical credentials, to fill the position of Operations Advisor in our office in Washington D.C.
The most suitable candidate will demonstrate enthusiasm for development, be able to lead change and build relationships, have excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong policy skills. Further, s/he must be creative, driven, a great teammate, a high-energy professional with digital literacy skills. S/he should also have an agile mindset with interest in using real-time, iterative approaches to meet client needs, all with the aim of promoting innovative solutions to corporate and regional development challenges.
The candidate will report directly to the General Manager of CCB and must demonstrate a holistic understanding of the IDB Group operations lifecycle.
The team’s mission:
CCB is responsible for the promotion and development of the IDB Group country strategies and programming in The Bahamas, Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago. The department supports the processing, negotiation, and administration of regional and country specific projects and programs; leading and maintaining the relations of the IDB Group with member countries; supporting the implementation of country-specific operations; promoting and coordinating the use of the funds administered by the Bank or under parallel financing agreements and monitoring the operation-related procurement activities of Bank borrowers and beneficiaries.
What you will do:
- Provide knowledge and leadership on development processes, including national opportunities, commercial negotiations, public and public-private partnerships mechanisms, and on sector issues for Caribbean countries.
- Advise the General Manager and CCB management team on strategic alliances across the IDB Group and partnerships for supporting a more decentralized operational model, and on matters raised by senior management and board of executive directors that may impact the IDB Group’s work in the Caribbean region.
- Proactively monitor the Board agenda/work plan to ensure CCB’s inputs to senior management are provided in a timely fashion.
- Support the departmental efforts to leverage more NGS opportunities for delivering holistic development solutions to clients, in coordination with the IDB Lab and IDB Invest and its IDB Group Regional Coordinator. Also identify areas where IDB operations could support expansion of NSG activity in a country through upstream work on regulation, institution-building, or market development.
- Act as a champion for CCB special initiatives and work to communicate relevant information about these initiatives throughout the bankwide ecosystem. Share lessons learned and advise other departments interested in learning from CCB and replicating these innovative initiatives.
- Maintain awareness of other departments’ initiatives that are aligned with CCB’s goals and seek to broker partnerships and collaboration.
- Promote CCB’s value proposition with internal clients as it relates to special initiatives and operations which have relevance to CCB goals and objectives and identify opportunities for collaboration and act as the liaison to connect the appropriate CCB team to the other relevant teams.
- Convene agile cross-departmental, cross-functional teams as needed to develop and execute strategic activities in collaboration with CCB Management Team.
- Provide guidance to CCB teams in producing high-quality briefing documents for senior management while advancing the use of cutting-edge tools for their preparation.
- Lead the coordination efforts with other IDB Group departments related to knowledge development, cross-fertilization of learned lessons and strategic alliances.
- Provide inputs to documents, evaluations and processes of other IDB Group departments that have impact on the delivery of the department’s operational program.
- Coordinate and/or support dialogue with other donors, multilateral development banks and key stakeholders interested in working in the Caribbean region.
What you will need:
Education: You hold a Master's degree (or equivalent) in Business Administration, Economics, Finance or related field
Experience: You have at least six (6) years of senior level experience, either in private or public institution, in high level economic and public policy formulation.
Demonstrated knowledge of a range of on-line and off-line digital communications tools to create and disseminate business content is required. Hands-on experience using digital technologies and content management systems with demonstrated knowledge of digital audience analytics, collection of business and system requirements, and reporting is required.
Languages: You have excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Oral and written proficiency in a second Bank language (Spanish, French, or Portuguese) is also required.
Other requirements: You have demonstrated skills in leadership, facilitation, conflict resolution, continuous business process improvement, team empowerment and communication.
Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries.
Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
Core and Technical Competencies:
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Length of contract: 3 years
Starting date: July 16th, 2020
Location: Washington, DC
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
We encourage women, afro-descendants, people of indigenous origins, and persons with disabilities to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.Additional Information