United Nations University Institute in MacauUnited Nations University Institute in Macau is a research institute at the intersections of information and communication technology (ICT) and international development. The Institute conducts policy-relevant research and generates solutions, addressing key issues expressed in the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through high-impact innovations and frontier technologies. Through its research, UNU Institute in Macau encourages data-driven and evidence-based actions and policies to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. One of the institute’s mission is to nurture the next generation of interdisciplinary computing, information and social scientists, and engineers to be thought leaders in the field of ICT for development. To this end, the institute seeks to build a team of experts to help deliver the institute’s mission and work plan.
Migrant Worker Recruitment ProjectThe United Nations University, Institute in Macau has been commissioned by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) under the FAIR project(1) to undertake a research study on migrant workers use of technology during recruitment. The aim of the research is to better understand and harness opportunities to use digital technology in facilitating/ensuring fair recruitment practices in view of informing a potential pilot activity working with technology in recruitment processes. The research will also look at how workers use the ITUC’s MRA platform, so as to inform the roll out and sustainability strategy of this online tool. The research takes a migration corridor approach in keeping with the FAIR project, and includes migration from Nepal, Sri Lanka, and The Philippines to Malaysia and Hong Kong.
ResponsibilitiesUnder the guidance and direct supervision of the project lead, the successful candidate, who will be based offsite in the designated location shall be entrusted with the following tasks:
- translate survey instrument into Nepalese
- act as enumerator for 50 surveys for migrant workers in Nepal
- lead 3 focus group discussions as well as translate and transcribe discussions into English
- undertake at least 5 interviews as well as translate and transcribe discussions into English
- Survey The research assistant will be required to act as an enumerator for surveys. The table below provides details of quota for respondents, by gender and destination country.
- country of citizenship — Nepal
- target destination country for labour migration — Hong Kong or Malaysia
- access to at least one of the following ICTs — personal computer or laptop, mobile phone, tablet, internet
- Nepal to Hong Kong — all male in craft and elementary industry
- Nepal to Malaysia — all male in manufacturing / services sector
Required qualifications and experienceRequired qualifications and experience include:
- ability to work and with eligible work authorisation in the designated location (i.e. Nepal)
- at least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant area (migration studies, social sciences, economics)
- at least two years of work experience as a researcher (including field work)
- experience moderating focus groups / leading interviews
- fluency in both Nepalese and English
- good communication skills (both written and speaking)
RemunerationRemuneration will be USD$2,500 upon completion of the project deliverables as listed above, within 28 days of package commencement. UN income is not subject to taxes in Macau. The contractor will be responsible for paying local taxes and other fiscal obligations. This is a locally recruited post; no relocation allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed as an individual contractor and will not hold international civil servant status, nor is he/she a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. The Institute accepts no responsibility for the medical and life insurance or costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during the contract period.
Duration of contract1 month.
Starting date15 April 2020. Interested applicants should submit their applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6th April 2020, and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a curriculum vitae
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations
- the subject line Application for Offsite Research Assistant – Nepal (Ref No: 2020/UNU/MACAU/CTC/ORA/31)
Vacancy Announcement: UNU Macau Offsite Research Assistant (Nepal Based) (206.0 KB PDF)By email: email@example.com