This project is designed to strengthen capacity for environmental monitoring and information management in Albania by establishing an operational environmental information management and monitoring system (EIMMS) with a focus on the MEAs of Biodiversity, Climate Change and land degradation. The project will address the need for an environmental monitoring system that is integrated throughout relevant government institutions and that uses international monitoring standards for indicator development, Data Collection, Analysis, and policymaking. It will also build on existing technical and institutional capacity in Albania to align its management and monitoring efforts with global monitoring and reporting priorities. Increased capacity in this area will improve reporting to the Rio Conventions for sustainable development through better-informed environmental policy.
The project will aim at: (i) Development of the EIMMS to enable integration of global environment commitments into planning and monitoring processes. (ii) Development and application of uniform indicators encompassing UNFCCC, CBD and CCD concerns and global environmental threats, and (iii) Stakeholder’s capacity for information management (collection processing) of key global environment data and utilization (interpretation and reporting) is enhanced at national and local level.
EIMMS, composed by a geospatial information component (GIS based Mapping of stations within the territory of Republic of Albania), has successfully gathered and implemented environmental indicators as state, impact and pressure in a unique system which has made it easier to access for the wider public and gives a special contribution in raising awareness on environment quality in the country. In cooperation with National Environmental Agency, Regional Environmental Agencies, Ministry of Tourism and Environment, Local authorities and respective stakeholders, a national database of each of the indicators is developed. Furthermore, EIMMS provides numerous national reports prepared in the framework of environment monitoring and gives information on convents that Republic of Albania is party, where you can find highlighted detailed obligations and further specifications.
Taking into consideration the natural values in municipality of Permet and surrounding areas, biological diversity, authentic landscapes and successful implementation of national EIMMS system, has raised a need to contribute by delivering a local system used for purposes of monitoring and managing environment information. Furthermore, there have been some initiatives in Permet such as: (i) Development of Vjosa Eco museum; - An interactive museum that displays in situ the natural and cultural heritage and identity of transboundary area focused into combining the past and the present and simultaneously providing a path towards a sustainable future for the area, and (ii) National Park “Bredhi i Hotoves” Info point;- The national park is considered per se as the natural lungs of southern Albania, containing 1400 ha, and the unit displays both environment and tourist information to the public, and (iii) Thermal Baths;- Benje together with other attractions as Lengarica canion, museums and protected cult objects that will serve as a baseline for the development of local EIMMS likewise system.
Also, The Government of Norway has contributed to the Albania SDG Acceleration Fund for the implementation of activities in accordance with the Government of Albania and United Nations Programme of Cooperation for Sustainable Development (PoCSD) 2017-2021 - as indicated in the signed Government of Albania – United Nations Joint Work Plans - and in accordance with Norway’s development priorities for Albania:
- Improved Capacity Building, good governance and democratic development.
- Strengthened rule of law and human rights.
- Strengthened Economic Development.
In the frame of the PoCSD Outcome 4 Environment and Climate Change, output 4.2 under the initiative related to management of natural resources supporting the green economy for a sustainable development of Vjosa Valley – Zagori synergies will be further thought under EIMMS.
Duties and Responsibilities
These Terms of Reference serve to define the responsibilities, specific tasks, and qualifications required for a tourism expert to provide an environmental information management road map and action plan at the local level in order to achieve the overall goal of replicability of an EIMMS like system at the local level.
The tourism expert will work closely with the environmental expert on a report reflecting environment and tourism indicators, how those interact with each-other, bearing in mind the responsibilities of Regional Environment Agency and Municipality of Permet (including its administrative units).
Furthermore, summary reports on meetings held between experts and methodology followed by each of them is to be delivered together with the other reports.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Identification of spots with an elevated importance of tourism and eco-tourism indicators and accurate assessment of each of them;
- Determine tourism and eco-tourism indicators effective in the municipality of Permet and surrounding areas; - Consider important national and international tourism indicators and how such indicators may be applied in a local level and an assessment of the impact under the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Methodology of evaluating tourism indicators; - Consider EIMMS platform www.eimms.al and build respective methodology of indicators measured within the area and how reporting of such indicators is made.
- Detailed review of all previous initiatives in the area in the context of tourism development, monitoring and management, for example: Vjosa Eco museum, Info point of “Bredhi i Hotoves”, etc. and express them wisely in the report which will serve as a baseline for the development of local EIMMS likewise system.
- Cooperate with the Municipality of Permet in identifying their needs in reflecting tourism information, former gaps and barriers in delivering a successful environment system dedicated for the municipality and how these obstacles will be adhered in the proposed system.
- Prepare a decent database for local businesses with interest to tourism activities, tourism agencies in the area and how those are willing to contribute in the overall development of Municipality of Permet, by also delivering a positive impact in the region of Gjirokastra;
- Provide an eco-tourism information management road map and action plan at the local level, and build groundwork on precise indicators by also determining how these indicators and monitoring measures interact with each other in order to achieve the overall goal of replicability of an EIMMS like system at the local level that would also include the eco-tourism perspective.
- Advance continuous collaboration with the municipality of Permet, Region of Gjirokaster, Regional Environment Agency Gjirokaster and stakeholders in order to gain official and important information in fulfilling the above tasks; - Prepare and deliver minutes of meetings and summary reports for each of meetings held in local level.
50% - July 15th, 2020- Baseline assessment and Report on Road Map.
50% - September 10th, 2020- Final report on action plan and potential replicability of EIMMS including eco-tourism at the local level.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Communication - Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals in line with agreed strategies, identifies priorities, foresees risks and makes allowances accordingly.
- Organizational Awareness - Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Teamwork - Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and delivers outputs in accordance with agreed time, cost and quality standards.
- Thorough understanding of disability issues, human rights, social inclusion and social services
- Excellent inter-personal and teamwork skills, networking attitude;
- Capacity to deliver as per deadlines;
- Ability to pick up new terminology and concepts easily.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in socio-economic studies, tourism, eco-tourism and related fields;
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience with proven expert knowledge in the field of tourism and eco-tourism.
- Strong expertise with operators and related stakeholders in the area.
- Familiarity with Multilateral Environmental Agreements.
- Proven experience in implementing similar tasks.
- Good knowledge of both written and spoken English.
UNDP applies a fair and transparent selection process that would consider both the technical qualification of Individual Consultants as well as their financial proposals. The contract will be awarded to the candidate whose offer:
- Is deemed technically responsive / compliant / acceptable (only technically responsive applications / candidates will be considered for the financial evaluation)
- And has obtained the highest combined technical and financial scores.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation – max points: 70
Criteria A: 20%- Education Background
Criteria B: 30%- Related work experience
Criteria C: 20%- Strong expertise with operators and related stakeholders in the area
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max 30 points
Candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% (49 points) of the maximum obtainable points for the technical criteria (70 points) shall be considered for the financial evaluation.
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Latest personal Curriculum Vitae (CV) including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees, including past experience from similar projects or completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SC) and Individual Contracts (IC) – Blank form Download here.
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability-please fill in the attached form... www.un.org.al/sites/default/files/IC_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx
- Financial Proposal in ALL - specifying a total lump sum in Albanian Lek
http://www.un.org.al/doc/Financial%20Offer%20template.doc (The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, and payment terms around specific and measurable -qualitative and quantitative- deliverables . Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR. In order to assist the requesting unit in the comparison of financial proposals, the financial proposal will include a breakdown of this lump sum amount-including travel, per diems, and number of anticipated working days).- Please note that with regard to travel component you may provide an average estimated travel cost for one circuit with and without accommodation.
- Technical Proposal – outlining the methodological approach to conducting the assignment, type of sources utilized, list of main publications to be used and timeline for conducting the research.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
* Kindly note that Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and Financial Proposal are two separate documents and should both be part of your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Merge your CV or P11, Financial Proposal Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Due to a large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.