FAO Representation in Libya is responsible for leading FAO's response to national priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the country.
The assistance provided by FAO to Libya follows five strategic priorities: Sustainable increase in crop productivity and raising levels of food safety and phytosanitary standards; Sustainable and healthy improvement in livestock productivity; Increasing exploitation and sustainable development of fisheries and marine resources; Expansion of the use and sustainable management of natural agricultural resources; Knowledge management, capacity building and improvement in services to support the agricultural sectors.Reporting Lines
The National Seed Production/Agro economist will report directly to the Head of Office, FAO Representation in Libya.
Technical FocusAgronomy / Seed Production
Tasks and Responsibilities
The National Seed production/Agro economist will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in the identification of vulnerable households involved in wheat and vegetables crop production in the target regions/governorates;
- Assist in the preparation of work plans and distribution of seeds in the target regions/governorates;
- Assist in the training of farmers for improved crop production;
- Assist in the development and organization of training courses for counterpart staff and practical courses for crop producers;
- Assist in the production of training materials in local languages on improved seeds production;
- Ensure preparation, submission of progress and project progress reports and a draft terminal report, and secure technical clearance from the LTO; and
- Carry out any other relevant duties within his/her technical competence as may be requested by FAO
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree (Masters' degree or equivalent degree) in agronomy with specialty crop production is required.
- At least 7 years of professional experience.
- Being a national of Libya or a resident with a regular work permit;
- Working knowledge of English and Arabic;
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement