OVERVIEW Post Number : KAB/ED/PA/2020/07 Grade : NO-C Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED) Duty Station: Kabul Job Family: Education Type of contract : Project Appointment Duration of contract : 1 year Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 15-JUL-2020 UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism (Only nationals of Afghanistan may apply to this position). (Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance). OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST The UNESCO Office in Kabul has been providing technical assistance to the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan including Ministries of Education, Higher Education, Labour and Social Affairs as well as Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Authority in the areas of system building, planning and policy, curriculum reform (both formal and non-formal education), TVET, improved access to literacy and non-formal education. An effective Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) system, driven by institutional development and knowledge management objectives, is essential for the success of the education projects of UNESCO Office in Kabul. A National Programme Officer (Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning) is sought to design and implement MEL activities of education projects and to provide assistance in strengthening data management of the Ministry of Education in the scope of the education projects. Long Description Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Office in Kabul and Representative of UNESCO to Afghanistan, and direct supervision of the Head of Education Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for designing and implementing monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) activities of education projects. These include collecting and analyzing data in relation to the education project activities and consolidating evidence that the education projects maintain their strategic vision and that the activities result in the achievement of the intended outputs in a cost effective, coordinated and timely manner. In particular, the incumbent will perform the following tasks: 1. Develop and implement a MEL framework and action plan across education projects: a. Review the existing education project documents which include theory of change, results frameworks and MEL approaches; b. Develop and keep up-to-date a MEL framework and action plan summarizing MEL objectives, priorities, indicators, baseline data, targets, identification of sources of data and collection methods in close collaboration with the education project teams and project implementation counterparts. The framework and action plan should align with the relevant requirements and expectations from UNESCO, project donors and the counterparts in the Ministries and follow the results-based management and value-for-money approach; c. Create and revise MEL tools and coordinate with and provide guidance to the education project teams to collect data on a regular basis; d. Implement the MEL framework and action plan and supervise the administrative aspects of the MEL activities, including managing contracts for MEL activities according to UNESCO standards. Long Description 2. Consolidate and analyze MEL findings to support project reporting, learning and information management: a. Develop and maintain an up-to-date database (preferably online) of outputs, activities and achieved results of the education projects to provide evidence for both internal and external reporting; b. Provide necessary input and work with the education project teams and project implementation counterparts in preparing narrative progress reports of education projects, including identifying lessons learnt and best practices of education projects and maintaining an up-to-date risk register to inform education teams for further project planning and necessary actions for improvement; c. Develop visual information products, such as infographics and factsheets, to summarize findings and recommendations; d. Review periodic overall financial information of education projects to support project reporting; e. articipate in programme coordination committee meetings and donors’ review meetings to provide necessary information about MEL of education projects; f. Ensure the quality and robustness of MEL activities, with gender responsiveness taken into account. 3. Provide assistance in strengthening data management of the Ministry of Education: a. Strengthen capacities for data collection, analysis and usage through the National Strategy for the Development of Education Statistics and support the production of National Education Statistics Reports; b. Provide input to the National Literacy Assessment Survey and relevant Education Management Information Systems. COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS EducationApply Now
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in the field of education, social sciences, monitoring and evaluation, economics or related areas.
- At least four (4) years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in project management, results-based management, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent understanding of development partners’ expectations and trends in the Education Sector.
- Excellent project management skills, including results-based management, financial management, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Previous work experience in developing countries and crisis affected contexts.
- Previous relevant work experience in an educational organization.
- Previous experience in protracted crises and Afghanistan.
- Work experience with the UN and/or the Ministry of Education in Afghanistan.
- Excellent understanding of research methodologies and data analysis and dissemination processes.
- Strong sensitivity and adaptability in post conflict countries and diversity (culture, gender, religion, race and nationality).
- Highly competent computer and other IT skills including knowledge of office softwares (MS Office Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, etc.), and databases for data capture, storage and analysis.
- Strong report writing and presentation skills including the use of multimedia and relevant presentation tools.
- Local languages Dari/Pashto.
- Knowledge of other UNESCO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).