The Programme focuses on development and implementation of nutrition specific and sensitive activities. Planned intervention areas include strengthening and implementing the nutrition surveillance system; monitoring and quality assurance of the interventions for facility based management of severe acute malnutrition; facilitating implementation and monitoring of Netcode; promoting BFHI (Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative) and MIYCN (Maternal, Infant and Young Child Nutrition); technical guidance on adolescent nutrition and carrying forward recommendations in UN Decade of Action. Furthermore, the Programme also maintains focus on nutrition sensitive interventions e.g. resolution on Climate Change and health of Regional Committee (RC64), World Health Assembly (WHA71) Resolutions on Infant and Young Child Feeding, and Joint Expert Evaluation report on Food Safety etc.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Provide technical guidance to the nutrition department in the MOH to adapt policies, strategies, guidelines and formulate operational plans for sustainable of nutrition activities and interventions.
2. Coordinate and collaborate with relevant stakeholders to follow up on the implementation plan of National and Provincial Nutrition Strategies and guiding documents.
3. Ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of project management, delivery and accomplishment of project goals and objectives.
4. Strengthen capacity of national staff and organize training of trainers workshops on nutrition case management and nutrition surveillance system to achieve the strategic goals and objectives of the nutrition programme.
5. Analyze the technical aspects of on-going nutrition programmes including the identification of successes and constraints and approaches that have positive impacts; Develop resource mobilization proposals to be presented to potential donors to scale up nutrition interventions in Pakistan.
6. Create synergies between stakeholders and development partners to ensure harmonization of implementation of nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive interventions.
7. Provide technical insight to the establishment of national legislation on trans-fats and food labelling.
8. Assess and review nutrition data systems and propose necessary modifications.
9. Propose an integrated approach for addressing the high burden of malnutrition in Pakistan in alignment with maternal and Child Health and other health system interventions.
10. Conduct field visits with national and provincial counterparts as needed to monitor programmes implementation.
11. Regularly update the senior management of developing nutrition trends in Pakistan and corresponding interventions in place.
12. Represent WHO in different nutrition related activities, workshops and meetings in the national and regional level, support nutrition cluster in terms of sharing and presenting updates, and coordinating all WHO activities with cluster partners.
EducationEssential: University degree in Medicine or Public Health or Social Science.
Desirable: Master's level degree in public health, public health nutrition or nutrition sciences with technical trainings in nutrition specific and sensitive areas.
ExperienceEssential: At least five years of experience of the development and implementation of Health Programs at the national level, with focus on the management of nutrition programmes.
Desirable: Knowledge of WHO mandate and goals or experience in UN Organizations, NGOs is considered an asset. Project management / Results-based Management (RBM) is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of the processes and approaches concerning nutrition issues; knowledge of the operations of the national governments in the area of nutrition and health.
- Excellent Knowledge of nutrition activities particularly in management of acute malnutrition, growth monitoring and nutrition surveillance system.
- Experience/training in organizing and executing nutrition programmes.
- Ability to interact with health and nutrition professionals at various level
WHO global Competencies model at http://www.who.int/employment/WHO_competencies_EN.pdf?ua=1
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Knowing and managing yourself
Use of Language SkillsEssential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Local language.
REMUNERATIONRemuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at PKR 5,869,573 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- Interested candidates must apply on-line through our Stellis recruitment system. For assessment of your application, please ensure that: (I) Your profile on Stellis is properly completed and updated;(ii) All required details regarding your qualifications, education and training are provided; (iii) Your experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CVs/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are not accessible.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other Duty Stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.