In order to ensure a smooth transition for Lebanon towards Environmental Sustainability, the Government of Lebanon, through the Ministry of Environment (MoE) has requested the support of the World Bank (WB) and the Italian Government to establish the Lebanon Environmental Pollution Abatement Project (LEPAP) as a national initiative to respond to the challenges for promoting the financial and environmental sustainability of the industrial sector in Lebanon.
The LEPAP was initiated by the MoE in 2014 and consists of two main components: (A) Technical Assistance Component funded by the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS), and (B) Investment Component funded by the WB. LEPAP is being implemented by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in close partnership with the Ministry of Finance (MoF) and Banque du Liban (BDL). The LEPAP aims at reducing industrial pollution in targeted industrial enterprises and will contribute to strengthening the monitoring and enforcement capabilities of the MoE.
Under the technical assistance component, the AICS has approved the allocation of a financial contribution to UNDP to provide technical assistance to the project’s beneficiaries mainly the MoE and the concerned industries and to support in the overall management of the project’s activities. These ToRs relate to the technical assistance component of the project.
To improve the capabilities of the MoE in the permitting, monitoring and enforcement of the environmental regulations within the industrial sector in Lebanon, an Internet Technology (IT) Consultant (referred to as “Individual Consultant (IC)”) will be recruited to support the LEPAP and MoE in designing and developing a consolidated database of the industries, including all relevant environmental information.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant shall perform all the services/works as necessary to fulfill the objectives of the consultancy contract under the overall guidance of the LEPAP/Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer.
The Consultant will have but will not be limited to the following responsibilities:
- Develop a good understanding of the permitting, monitoring and enforcement procedures of the industrial sector in Lebanon and the main stakeholders involved after consultation with the M&E Officer;
- Develop a good understanding of the MoE requirements, the type of information currently available at the level of several Services/Departments and the expected configuration of the database through the M&E Officer to ensure:
- The information is well organized and easily but securely accessible;
- No redundancy of the data is being made;
- The accuracy and integrity of the information is maintained;
- The Data Processing and reporting needs of the MoE are taken into consideration;
- Defines site objectives by analyzing user requirements; envisioning system features and functionality.
- Designs and develops user interfaces to internet/intranet applications by setting expectations and features priorities throughout development life cycle; determining Design methodologies and tool sets; designing and conducting tests.
- Provides Technical Support in system solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development.
- Completes applications development by coordinating requirements, schedules and activities; troubleshooting development and production problem related to the newly developed application across multiple environments and operating platforms.
- Support in the development of documentation and assistance tools, as needed.
- Creates required reports in responses to business user needs and various applications.
- Write codes (stored procedures, triggers, database scripts) to implement the requested database interface based on technical advice considering the limitations and IT structures within the MoE.
- Develops web-based solution to be hosted on MoE servers to be used on the internal network at first stage and ready to be published online whenever needed.
- Identify the database requirements in Coordination with the M&E Officer: what the data items are, what attributes they have, what constraints apply and the relationships that hold between the data items;
- Provide a backup mechanism of the newly developed database/software;
- Test and validate the backup by restoring the application and database on a new server from the latest differential or full backup.
- Provide the detailed steps of the restore procedure and the time taken to put the application online after restore.
- Based on the above, determine the most suitable modality to establish the database which would allow access to multiple users with various levels to the developed database with easy access to update the data;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Good command of French is an asset.
- An ability to understand front-end users requirements and a problem-solving attitude;
- Comfortable in working in an enterprise environment;
- Excellent analytical and organization skills;
Required Skills and Experience
I. Academic Qualifications:
II. Years of experience:
The required minimum years of relevant experience is 7 years.
III. Technical experience:
- Proven work experience as a data base developer;
- Experience in Software Development and user interface web applications;
- Strong experience in SQL Database;
How to apply:
The consultancy is open for all national consultants who meet the selection criteria and propose a competitive fee. Interested consultants are requested to apply only through this UNDP jobs portal.
Submissions through any other media will not be considered.
The application must include all of the following documents:
2. Technical Proposal,
3. Annex 3 (Offerors Letter) and
4. Financial proposal
Kindly note that you may find all the required documents on the below link: https://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=66662 ; whereas the application must be submitted through this Jobs portal
All files shall be submitted in one single document and uploaded as word or PDF file to the UNDP job site.
It has been observed that bidders don’t submit all requested documents and thus reducing their chance to be selected for a contract with UNDP. before you submit your offer please revise that the application is complete and comprises all four (4) documents.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.