UNDP is implementing an Adaptation Fund-funded project “Integrated climate-resilient transboundary flood risk management in the Drin River basin in the Western Balkans (Albania, Montenegro and North Macedonia)” (hereinafter Drin FRM Project). The project aims to assist the riparian countries in the implementation of an integrated climate-resilient river basin flood risk management approach in order to improve their existing capacity to manage flood risk at regional, national and local levels and to enhance resilience of vulnerable communities in the Drin River Basin (DRB) to climate-induced floods. The following results shall be achieved: (i) Improved climate and risk informed decision-making, availability and use of Climate Risk information;(ii) Improved institutional arrangements, legislative and policy framework for climate-resilient flood risk management (FRM), and development of Climate Change adaptation (CCA) and FRM strategy and plans at the basin, sub-basin, national and sub-national levels; (iii) Strengthened community resilience through improved flood management, through implementation of structural and non-structural measures and enhanced local capacity for CCA and FRM. Outcome 1 of the project is aimed at achieving an improved climate and risk informed decision-making, availability and use of climate risk information. Key to the strategic management of climate-induced flood risk is to have appropriate density and frequency of monitoring of important hydrometeorological variables. Given the importance of accurate historical hydrometeorological records in the assessment of flood risk, it would be important to ensure that the hydrometric network is spatially optimized and centrally managed, and that data is made available to all flood management practitioners.Apply Now
Duties and ResponsibilitiesObjective of the assignment The National Hydrometric Network Expert is recruited to support Albania in developing the optimised basin hydrometric network for the DRB under Output 1.1. Duties and responsibilities Under close supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA), Regional Project Manager (PM) and UNDP Albania PIU, and working closely with the International Hydrometric Network Expert, the National Hydrometric Network Expert will develop the optimised basin hydrometric network for the DRB under Output 1.1. and will oversee the procurement, installation, and Capacity Development of practitioners in the riparian countries, together with the International Hydrometric Network Expert. Key tasks will include:
- Review the existing coverage, physical condition and Data Collection procedures of the Drini basin hydrometric network in Albania follow up on previously undertaken projects, such as the Drin-Buna Basin Flow and Flood Forecasting System by GIZ GmbH, and develop the optimised basin hydrometric network plan.
- Work with the Telecommunications expert to undertake an assessment of the telecommunications network to support telemetered and automated stations.
- Assess the institutional arrangements and capacity for the operation and maintenance (O&M) of the hydrometric network and develop Institutional capacity Development Plan (short, medium and long-term) for hydrometric network O&M detailing human power and financial requirements, and training needs, for the efficient O&M of all the stations in Albania.
- Support in technical data for the training curriculum for training to be delivered during the project.
- Assess the existing protocols for the collection, transmission, sharing, storage, management and use of the observed data
- Oversee the development of detailed specification and Design all equipment and each component of the hydrometric network and undertake the technical evaluation for the procurement and installation of hydrometric equipment
- Support in the development of the hydrometric network O&M plan and assist Albania to implement elements of the plan.
- Support the international expert in the revision of the financing of hydrometric network O&M for Albania identify resourcing, and training needs as well as institutional arrangements for the management of the proposed new hydrometric network.
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently and in teams;
- Ability to provide quality assurance and attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as Conflict Resolution skills.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Water Resources Management, Flood Risk Management, Hydrology, or Water Resources engineering;
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, with proven record of the works in hydrometric systems design, hydrological monitoring, climate resilient flood management or water management projects;
- Experience in similar projects addressing climate resilient flood risk management or water management;
- Albanian and English
- Is deemed technically responsive / compliant / acceptable (only technically responsive applications / candidates will be considered for the financial evaluation)
- And has obtained the highest combined technical and financial scores.
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Latest personal Curriculum Vitae (CV) including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees, including past experience from similar projects or completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SC) and Individual Contracts (IC) – Blank form Download here.
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability-please fill in the attached form... www.un.org.al/sites/default/files/IC_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx
- Financial Proposal in ALL - specifying a total lump sum in Albanian Lek http://www.un.org.al/doc/Financial%20Offer%20template.doc (The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, and payment terms around specific and measurable -qualitative and quantitative- deliverables . Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR. In order to assist the requesting unit in the comparison of financial proposals, the financial proposal will include a breakdown of this lump sum amount-including travel, per diems, and number of anticipated working days).- Please note that with regard to travel component you may provide an average estimated travel cost for one circuit with and without accommodation.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
- Merge your CV or P11, Financial Proposal Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.