The maritime sector is rapidly increasing in the past years, as a source for further Economic Development and international cooperation. The Government of Albania has made progress in maintenance and infrastructure of port facilities in line with the Sector Strategy, priorities stipulated in the Government Program, the National Transport Plan, the National Strategy for Development and Integration and the Medium-Term Budget Plan.
Supporting data from INSTAT show that in 2017 compared to 2016, the volume of freight loading and unloading in Albanian ports has increasing by 7.1 %, the number of passengers travelling by sea line is increasing by 16.9%, the goods exported by sea represent 62.8 % of the total transport as well as goods imported by sea represent 48.6 %.
Maritime Transport is primarily concerned with the transport of freight and passengers by sea. The sector is associated with many other activities such as ship agency, chartering and brokering, maritime labour and education, multimodal and intermodal transport and related services.
Cooperation on various services notably those linked to the Capacity Building in the public sector and better Coordination of planning activities is needed for preparing the ground for better marine and maritime governance and services.
Duties and Responsibilities
The national expert will work together with an international expert to assess the effects of Covid-19 in the Maritime Industry in Albania and Develop Recovery Plan Guidelines.
The assessment will consider the economic impacts in the maritime sector, in the following, but not limited to:
- Data Processing to characterize labor markets, assess potential impacts of alternative policy measures.
- Economic data processing to characterize vulnerability of maritime businesses, assess potential impacts on employment and firm survival of alternative policy measures.
- Analysis of implementation challenges of the measures adopted: Policy response effectiveness to contain the COVID-19 crisis will depend on the quality of policy Design, on the capacity to provide support in the required amounts, and on the national and local government’s implementation capacity.
- Provide inputs in the draft Blue economy programme, in all the related components and to the Roadmap, related to the recovery framework.
The Recovery Plan Guideline shall include, but not be limited to:
- establishing objectives by identifying the strategic goals and determining constraints;
- analyzing the risks;
- selecting controls and evaluating the alternatives to address the risks;
50%- July 30th, 2020- Assessment report on maritime sector industry and Covid-19.
50%- August 30th, 2020- Recovery Plan Guidelines on maritime sector industry and Covid-19.
If unforeseen travel outside the Duty Station not required by the Terms of Reference is requested by UNDP, and upon prior written agreement, such travel shall be at UNDP’s expense and the Individual Contractor shall receive a per diem not to exceed United Nations daily subsistence allowance rate in such other location(s).
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Communication - Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals in line with agreed strategies, identifies priorities, foresees risks and makes allowances accordingly.
- Organizational Awareness - Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Teamwork - Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and delivers outputs in accordance with agreed time, cost and quality standards
- Thorough understanding of disability issues, Human Rights, social inclusion and social services
- Excellent inter-personal and teamwork skills, networking attitude;
- Capacity to deliver as per deadlines;
- Ability to pick up new terminology and concepts easily.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in macro-economy, statistics, with background in maritime industry, transport or related.
- Seven years of work experience in maritime industry and transport sector.
- Excellent knowledge on Maritime Governance related to acquis communitaire, IMO, MARPOL requirements.
- Knowledge of the operators and stakeholders in the area.
- Demonstrated knowledge with the business environment in the maritime industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
UNDP applies a fair and transparent selection process that would consider both the technical qualification of Individual Consultants as well as their financial proposals. The contract will be awarded to the candidate whose offer:
- Is deemed technically responsive / compliant / acceptable (only technically responsive applications / candidates will be considered for the financial evaluation)
- And has obtained the highest combined technical and financial scores.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation – max points: 70
Criteria A: Relevant work experience – max 30 points
Criteria B: Demonstrated knowledge with the business environment in the maritime industry – max 20 points
Criteria C: Education Background - max 20 points
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max 30 points
Candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% (49 points) of the maximum obtainable points for the technical criteria (70 points) shall be considered for the financial evaluation.
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Latest personal Curriculum Vitae (CV) including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees, including past experience from similar projects or completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SC) and Individual Contracts (IC) – Blank form Download here.
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability-please fill in the attached form... www.un.org.al/sites/default/files/IC_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx
- Financial Proposal in ALL - specifying a total lump sum in Albanian Lek
http://www.un.org.al/doc/Financial%20Offer%20template.doc (The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, and payment terms around specific and measurable -qualitative and quantitative- deliverables . Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR. In order to assist the requesting unit in the comparison of financial proposals, the financial proposal will include a breakdown of this lump sum amount-including travel, per diems, and number of anticipated working days).- Please note that with regard to travel component you may provide an average estimated travel cost for one circuit with and without accommodation.
- Technical Proposal – outlining the methodological approach to conducting the assignment, type of sources utilized, list of main publications to be used and timeline for conducting the research.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
* Kindly note that Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and Financial Proposal are two separate documents and should both be part of your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Merge your CV or P11, Financial Proposal Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Due to a large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process