I. Position Information
Position title: Migration Technical Specialist
Position grade: National Officer (NOA)
Duty station: San José, Costa Rica.
Appointment type: Special Short Term- three months with possibility of extension
Reports directly to: Regional Coordinator, Western Hemisphere Program
Estimated start date:
June 15th, 2020
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Western Hemisphere Migration Capacity-Building Program, funded by the United States Department of State, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM), seeks to improve the capacities of States in Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean to govern migration humanely and sustainably. The Programme has four pillars: 1) migration management, 2) regional dialogue, and partnerships, 3) crisis response and 4) communication for development.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and direct supervision of the Regional Project Coordinator of the Program, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide technical and content support to products and activities of the regional coordination of the program and of all member countries.
- Advise, support and monitor the execution of the program at the regional and national level.
- Draft guiding documents such as terms of reference and conceptual notes for the technical planning and execution of the different activities.
- Technically review the various products of the Program, giving close monitoring and technical supervision to consultants hired for this purpose, and to the Program staff who require it.
- Design and execute high-quality, comprehensive and sustainable training processes aimed at institutions and social organizations, and other relevant actors, to promote coordinated efforts to improve migration management, with special emphasis on issues of migrant protection, vulnerable migrants, trafficking in persons, migrant smuggling and other related issues. References should be the international and IOM frameworks and instruments in migration management.
- Promote the adoption, application, and monitoring of the gender and human rights perspective in the design and implementation of the Program's activities, and in general international commitments on migration.
- Collaborate with the drafting of technical content and distribution of communication and information materials related to the Program activities, including the updating of existing internet resources or intranet sites, as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Regional Program Coordinator and Sub-regional Coordinators, in the design, programming, implementation and monitoring of the Project's regional activities.
- Prepare and implement a monthly work plan for regional activities and carry out the corresponding follow-up actions.
- Support the monitoring of the work plans of the teams in the different countries implementing the Program.
- Collaborate in the preparation of intermediate, final and ad-hoc technical reports.
- Support in the development and management of international cooperation projects related to the impact areas of the program and aimed at achieving its strengthening, continuity and sustainability.
- Undertake duty travelling.
- Perform such other duties
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
- Professional in social sciences, law, international or related relations, preferably with a postgraduate degree.
- At least three years of experience in technical advisory or coordination positions, preferably at the regional level.
- Experience in consultation and participation with communities, government authorities and multidisciplinary teams of professionals.
- Excellent knowledge of migration issues.
- Knowledge and professional experience in the following areas: b) vulnerable migrants with protection needs; c) trafficking in persons and smuggling of migrants; d) promotion of rights, especially of vulnerable groups, e) migrant children.
- High ability to manage various topics and coordinate multiple projects.
- Experience in pedagogical activities and development of training curriculum.
- Good adaptability, versatility and working under pressure abilities
Required (specify the required knowledge)
Spanish and English (fluent)
Other IOM official language
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
- Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
Empowering others and building trust:
- Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
- Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
- Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
Strategic thinking & vision:
- Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
- Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
- Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
- Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
El/la candidato/a deberá enviar su CV, con tres referencias laborales (nombre, cargo, teléfono y correo electrónico), junto con una carta de motivación de máximo una página de extensión, al correo: COSanJoseVacancies2@iom.int haciendo referencia a la vacante: SVN-2020-15Duty Station: Costa RicaClosing Date:: Sunday, May 31, 2020Document: DOWNLOAD TERMS OF REFERENCE