Medical Supply / Laboratory Diagnostic Advisor, Gates Foundation African Health Diagnostic Platform Process and Outcome Evaluation
Social Impact (SI) is a Global Development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity Building Services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and Economic Growth. Since 1997, we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral Development Banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and the European Investment Bank (EIB) are co-financing a new health financing platform called the Africa Health Diagnostics Platform (AHDP). The aim of AHDP is to significantly improve access and quality of laboratory diagnostic services in the public Health Sector (government-owned facilities and community health care) in sub-Saharan Africa for low income populations by enabling public-private partnerships between governments and private sector laboratory and diagnostic companies. The implementation technical partner, the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI), has selected four countries Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, and Rwanda (with the possible addition of 3 more countries in West Africa) to tender on the selected PPP Design.
BMGF / EIB are seeking an evaluator to plan and conduct process and outcome evaluations of AHDP. In collaboration with the technical partner, the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI), the evaluation will be segmented in congruence with the three implementation phases:
Phase 1: Pre-Tender Phase
- Conduct process evaluation to generate insights into how the countries approach partnership with private sector
Phase 2: Implementation
- Track the implementation of PPPs using a “fit to purpose” designed MLE system
- Facilitate routine curation and documentation of knowledge and lessons learned
Phase 3: Outcome Phase
- Conduct outcome evaluation and its downstream effects on selected closing the loop (CTL) initiatives
The estimate period of performance for this activity is 3 years. The anticipated start is August 2020.
SI is seeking a Medical Supply / Laboratory Diagnostic Advisor who will support the evaluation team by providing technical expertise on the laboratory and diagnostic system in Africa. This position will serve as a consultant throughout the 3-year period of performance.
- Perform literature reviews and identify additional information required for Analysis.
- Provide technical expertise on the laboratory and diagnostic system in Africa and support the Team Leader’s efforts in the evaluation design, methodology, and Data Collection instruments.
- Identify and interview key stakeholders and beneficiaries as relevant.
- Support the evaluation team in the development and dissemination of results including reports and publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Write assigned section of the draft evaluation report in Coordination with the team members, taking into consideration feedback from the preliminary findings’ presentation.
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other's areas of expertise.
- Master’s degree in biological or laboratory sciences within a clinical or diagnostic discipline or specialization, M.D. or Ph.D. preferred.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in clinical laboratory medicine or laboratory diagnostic system research in developing countries.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the laboratory diagnostic system in Africa required.
- Informed of current laboratory developments in the diagnosis of infectious diseases and primary care including point-of-care and molecular methods.
- Knowledge and experience with strengthening laboratories to achieve international quality standards including against ISO 15189 and/or SLMTA/SLIPTA.
- Familiarity with international biosafety regulations.
- Demonstrated experience conducting related process or outcome evaluations in a wide range of African countries including Ghana, Ethiopia, Rwanda, and Kenya.
- Must have exceptional organizational, analytical, writing, and presentation skills.
- Professional Proficiency in written and oral English is required.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.