The Office of the Ombudsman for united nations Funds and Programmes offers dedicated informal dispute-resolution services to all contract holders from UNDP, UNFPA, UNICEF, UNOPS and UN Women in an informal, confidential manner with the aim of maintaining a harmonious workplace environment. The Ombudsman does not advocate for any party in a dispute but rather assists in seeing that all members of the work force are treated equitably, and that justice is done. The Office has created Training Courses via e-learning methodologies. Additional online, fully automated Training Programmes will be available in the second part of 2020, as part of a demand-driven plan to create within the Office a new unit devoted entirely to training. The Office is also in a unique position to convene colleagues across the five organizations for training courses. In this context, the Office requires an on-call consultant (the “Consultant”) to create learning courses and awareness materials in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution, and especially mediation, that support our training goals. The contract duration will be three years, and tasks will be assigned on an on-call basis.Apply Now
Duties and ResponsibilitiesDescription of responsibilities Under the direct supervision of the manager of the mediation Unit, the Consultant contractor will be responsible for creating awareness and learning materials, both for online and in person delivery. : Deliverables
- Creation of case studies and other training materials for ADR courses, with focus on mediation;
- Drafting or review of the final story boards prepared for e-learning training products;
- Review of the Beta versions of the e-learning products; and
- Creation of other learning materials such as newsletters and brochures.
CompetenciesInnovation Ability to make new and useful ideas work Exercises stakeholder-centered Design approaches for office/programme/division People Management Ability to improve performance and satisfaction Guides substantive specialists/teams and expands credibility and innovation capacity Communication Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform Creates confidence among stakeholders by delivering authoritative positions, compelling Analysis, and contextual acumen Delivery Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement Accepts accountability for the outcomes of programme delivery and facilitates improvement and innovation in the delivery of products and services Knowledge Management Integrate & Empower: Leads integral work of teams utilizing expertise, vision, problem-solving capability, and collaborative energy in professional area of expertise Client Orientation Integrate & Empower: Leads integral work of teams utilizing expertise, vision, problem-solving capability, and collaborative energy in professional area of expertise Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise Integrate & Empower: Leads integral work of teams utilizing expertise, vision, problem-solving capability, and collaborative energy in professional area of expertise
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation
- Advanced University Degree in Alternative Dispute Resolution or Law is required.
- Knowledge of Alternative Dispute Resolution mechanisms is required.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in teaching and writing in the field of ADR is required;
- Experience in producing content for ADR newsletters and brochures is required; and
- Experience conducting training in Conflict Resolution is an asset.
- Superior writing and editing skills are required.
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in Spanish and/or French is an advantage.