Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.Apply Now
Program / Department SummaryMercy Corps in partnership with TechnoServe and Agora Global are implementing a Market Systems Approach to increasing Youth Employment through its Resilience and Livelihoods development program in rural and marginalized areas of Kenya of Marsabit, Samburu, Wajir, Isiolo and Turna River. The program will be delivered through a Swedish Development Cooperation opportunity that aims to contribute to productive employment and decent working conditions for youth aged 18 -35 through a diverse set of market systems that are critical to Youth. The program has two phases: inception phase intended to conduct a robust market systems Analysis and Design and an implementation phase to promote productive employment, improved livelihood & resilience for rural youth in Kenya. General Position Summary The Market Systems Development Team Lead will be tasked with developing and managing innovative and high impact youth employment programs in rural and marginalized areas of Kenya. S/he is responsible for the overall management and Coordination of a Market Systems Development approach focusing on growth sectors such as the agricultural, micro enterprises, migratory labour and Livestock aimed at increasing resilience and livelihoods for youth. S/he will lead, coordinate and manage all activities related to the implementation of the markets systems component of the program ensuring the programs are on time, on scope and on budget. ** A market systems development and resilience approach is at the core of Mercy Corps Kenya’s programming strategy and as such, the Team Leader will be responsible for overall program and consortium management, program performance and quality, and ensuring that the program is catalytic and in building resilience of young people of Kenya in a Sustainable manner.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in a relevant field; an advanced degree is preferred.
- 5-7 years practical field experience implementing Agriculture, livelihoods or related sectors.
- Direct experience in managing and implementing market systems development programming and economic recovery.
- Experience managing consortiums through inception and implementation
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of Community Participation and accountability.
- Prior experience in developing partnership with both private and public actors as part of Program Implementation in achieving projects desired goals.
- Experience managing and empowering teams in Market Systems Development with demonstrated evidence of continued learning and adaptation
- Demonstrated strong theoretical and applied knowledge of livelihood and market systems development programming and familiarity designing assessments, analysis and the subsequent intervention design with strong markets systems application.
- Prior experience in developing partnership with both private and public actors as part of program implementation in achieving projects desired goals.
- Experience facilitating workshops and multiple stakeholder meetings for both the public and private sector.
- Experience working in the Arid and Semi-Arid Land of Kenya is a strong plus
- Strong communication, writing and report development skills.
- Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with local and national governments, INGO and local NGO partners;
- Strong oral and written English skills required.