The General Secretariat directs all the administrative and Financial Aspects of the Union's activities, including the implementation of the provisions of the administrative regulations on operational questions, the dissemination of information on telecommunication matters for operational and other purposes, the provision of legal advice to the Bureaux of the Union and the departments of the General Secretariat, logistic support to the Union's activities including conferences, the Coordination of the work of the Union with other international organizations, the dissemination of information to the Member States and Sector Members, press, corporate and individual users of telecommunications and the general public. The General Secretariat is also responsible for the organization of world telecommunication exhibitions and forums.
Within the General Secretariat, the Strategic Planning and Membership Department (SPM) advises the Secretary-General on strategic challenges and their implications for the Union in the fast evolving telecommunications/ICT environment; develops forward-looking strategic proposals to the ITU management team with a view to ensuring that the organization meets the objectives assigned by the membership; plans and coordinates the corporative and strategic activities with a view to ensuring their accordance with membership objectives; organizes and provides Secretariat Services to the Plenipotentiary Conference, Council, and other meetings in the general secretariat in order to achieve a high level of involvement from Member States and Sector Members, develops and maintains sound relations with Member States, Sector Members and other entities, the UN and other international organizations. The Department is also responsible for providing expert advice on communication and promotion strategies and for developing and implementing the Union's corporate communication plan in cooperation with the three Sectors with a view to promoting ITU leadership in the field of telecommunications and ICT. Duties / Responsibilities Under the supervision of the Head, Marketing Partner and Relations Division (MPR), the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Prepares data through market intelligence on competitive environment covering, pricing, product range, ICT Industry trends, etc..
- Liaises with outside third-parties and other ITU Divisions/Sectors to collect needed data/information in order to keep abreast of prevailing latest trends and techniques in the Telecommunication and related Industries to inform the Division's strategy for publication sales and new member recruitment.
- Provides marketing support for membership, publications (including martime) and products, including Market Research, campaigns and promotional materials.
- Collects and compiles statistical data related to sales by country, market, customer, reseller, distributors, product type ordering frequency, average orders, etc. to assess improving profitability and cutting cost.
- Prepares surveys of members, partners, customers and resellers to gain insights on levels of satisfaction and inform improvements to strengthen loyalty, retention and sales revenues.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the supervisor to ensure the success of the team.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision Making; Client and Service Orientation, and; Innovation and Facilitating Change.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Good knowledge of Market Analysis, survey techniques and tools. Excellent knowledge of Excel. Good research, analytical and numerical skills.
Complete secondary education with a diploma OR complete equivalent technical or commercial studies with a diploma. For internal candidates, obligatory schooling in combination with thirteen years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of complete secondary education with a diploma for promotion or rotation purposes.
At least eight years of experience in market research and analysis, industry and market assessment/Data Analysis, compilation/analysis of periodic statistics. (A maximum of three years of studies in the field of the post and in a recognized school may replace the required experience on the basis of one year of education for one year of experience.)
Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage.
Annual Salary (Net of Tax)
82,401.- CHF - 109,561.- CHF without dependants.
According to ITU Staff Regulations and Rules, appointments to posts in the General Service category are subject to local recruitment conditions. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening. For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following linkApplicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration