Job Title: Manager Health and Nutrition
Reports to: Senior Manager – Health and Nutrition
Direct Reports: Officers Health & Nutrition
Liaises with: Internally - Other Programmes and Programme Support Unit (PSU)
Externally - MoH, Local Partners, UN bodies etc.
Job Location: North Horr
About Concern Worldwide & NAWIRI Program
Concern Worldwide (Concern) is a non-governmental, international, humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of Extreme Poverty in the world’s poorest countries. Concern believes in a world where no-one lives in poverty, fear or oppression; where all have access to a decent standard of living and the opportunities and choices essential to a long, healthy and creative life; a world where everyone is treated with dignity and respect.
For more details about Concern Worldwide in Kenya, please visit: https://www.concern.net/where-we-work/kenya. Concern Worldwide in partnership with local and international development organizations and, the County Governments of Isiolo and Marsabit is implementing a multi sector nutrition programme named NAWIRI.
NAWIRI programme will work in Isiolo and Marsabit counties to increase project and stakeholder understanding of the causes of acute malnutrition through a collaborative learning process involving local actors including communities, county institutions, civil society and the private sector. The overall project goal is to sustainably reduce acute malnutrition among vulnerable populations in Isiolo and Marsabit counties. NAWIRI specifically aims to achieve the following objectives in the five years; i) Sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition, ii) Strengthen institutions to sustain change and, iii) Contribute to global learning on malnutrition. Catholic Relief Services (CRS) leads the Isiolo and Marsabit NAWIRI consortium whose partners include; Concern Worldwide, Tufts University-Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, The Manoff Group (MG), Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN), Village Enterprise and CARITAS ( Isiolo / Marsabit) , working closely with County Governments of Isiolo and Marsabit.
Two (2) Years Fixed Term Renewable Contract Subject to Performance and Availability of Funds
Group Medical Cover (Principal & 2 Dependants)
Group Life Assurance Cover
WIBA Plus/Personal Accident Cover
The incumbent is responsible to support Coordination, planning, management and implementation of the Health and Nutrition NAWIRI Programme (research and scale up) at the sub-county Level. S/he will coordinate the NAWIRI research and scale up activities-with the Sub-county health management team members (S/CHMTs), health facilities and community units. The research activities will include and not limited to desk studies, pilots, assessments and formative researches. The manager will ensure day-to-day activities are implemented within the established framework of the programme, timescales, budget and quality. S/he will continually monitor all aspects of programme performance by instituting the use of necessary programme management processes and tools to ensure programme and financial compliance at the subcounty level. The incumbent will supervisor two nutrition officers- North Horr and Chalbi / Maikona
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate in the assessment and selection of appropriate partners for programme implementation;
- Provide organizational and Technical Support to MoH and local partners in the implementation of High Impact Nutrition Interventions (HINI) and Health Services;
- Liaising closely with the Sub - County Health Management Teams (CHMT) and Hospital Management Teams (HMT) to develop joint work plans and ensure MoH ownership and integration into the existing Health Systems;
- Work closely with the SCHMT to oversee and review the implementation of County work plans and activities
- Support MoH and local partners to strengthen planning, implementation and review of health and nutrition intervention at the Sub – county level
- Work with stakeholders at sub- county level to establish health and nutrition complementary interventions while actively promoting inter sectoral linkages and integration with other programmes as necessary in line with the NAWIRI Programme Strategy.
- Ensure programme quality by taking an active role in monitoring of programme interventions including contributing to the development of context specific M&E tools, using data for decision making, field monitoring and joint support supervision
- Monitor the health and nutrition situation in the sub - county including coordination of nutrition surveys, supporting with surveillance and assessments as required
- Contribute to the development and review of the NAWIRI programme research and advocacy strategies
- Develop and implement sub-county level health and nutrition specific programme budgets, budget revisions, costed work plans among other financial planning tools as required.
- Documentation of the NAWIRI programme process and compilation of programme reports including generating lessons learnt and case studies
- Represent Concern at County and the NAWIRI programme at sub - county Health and Nutrition meetings / fora and support advocacy initiatives in line with the NAWIRI programme strategy
- Monitor programme budget and partner grants and account for expenditure through timely Financial Reporting
- Provide coordination to all NAWIRI programme activities by channeling communication and resources to all department at sub-county level.
Responding to Emergencies:
- Participate and contribute as necessary towards Concern’s Emergency response as and when necessary.
- Comply with Concern’s health, safety and security guidelines during emergencies
Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies
- To adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies
- To support and promote the standards outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies to their team, partner organisations and beneficiaries, and be committed to providing a safe working environment.
- To contribute to the establishment of preventive measures to reduce the potential for abuse in Concern programme
- A bachelor’s degree in food, Nutrition and Dietetics, bachelor’s degree in nursing or related field
- At least five (5) years’ experience in health and nutrition programme management in the delivery of High Impact Nutrition Interventions (HINI) and health services; with at least two (2) years’ experience in a supervisory or managerial role
- Solid understanding and experience with integrated program approaches
- Significant experience/knowledge of MoH systems, particularly at County level and working with and through local partners
- Excellent programme planning, monitoring and evaluation, interpersonal and report writing skills
- Fluent in both oral and written English and Kiswahili.
- Proficient in Computer Applications
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and supervise new staff members
- Proactive problem solver and solutions-oriented management style
- Qualified residents of Marsabit County are highly encouraged to apply
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time.
Concern has an organisational Code of Conduct (CCoC) with three Associated Policies; the Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organisation, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies.
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should send their CV and Cover Letter Only to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email as ‘Manager Health and Nutrition North Horr by Friday 12th June 2020.
Each application should include three (3) referees who can validate technical expertise.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview