Manages the day to day HQ field accounting of general ledger preparation, operational accounting, support of budget and forecast activities and country offices by initiating, developing, and implementing organizational accounting best practices. Leads the field accounting staff and ensures accurate Financial Reporting
- Manages and oversees HQ Field Accounting team of accountants.
- Responsible for oversight of the Field Accounting System general ledger in all locations globally.
- Oversees validation of Field accounting system data with HQ accounting system data. Works closely with Corporate Accounting Department to ensure accurate integration of field accounting data into corporate accounting systems.
- Oversees the HQ Field Accounting department’s review of monthly reconciliations for all Field balance sheet accounts, including but not limited to bank reconciliations, advances & prepayments, payroll related liabilities, deferred rent, payroll liabilities, inter-company, and suspense accounts. Develops management reports on Field balance sheet reconciliation status.
- Oversees testing and functionality of Field accounting software enhancements.
- Responsible for setup, account maintenance and Administration of the field accounting system and ensures consistency and integration with the HQ accounting system.
- Reviews and approves all journal entries and cash receipts entered in the accounting system prior to posting for the Field into HQ accounting system.
- Conducts a review and variance Analysis of the HQ accounting system Trial Balance for all countries prior to closing the month, to ensure accuracy of balances.
- Responsible for the month end and year-end close of all Field-based accounting ledgers, functions, and systems in all countries.
- Provides assistance in coordinating and responding to internal and external audit queries.
- Responsible for the overseeing field accounting year end audit.
- Monitors and analyzes department work and processes to develop more efficient procedures and use of available resources.
- Provides guidance, mentoring, and training to staff as needed.
- Works closely with Operations Department finance leadership in Regional Offices to resolve issues.
- Manages preparation of all Field-related incurred cost proposal schedules and information required to be submitted to cognizant US government agency.
- Ensures that field accounting business practices are adequate, documented, and compliant with internal and external requirements.
- Contributes towards development of accounting policy development and standard operating procedures.
- Advises Accounting Department management of any internal control, system, business process, or other weaknesses that may exist, and recommends solutions.
- Manages various Accounting Department projects to ensure successful implementation of initiatives.
- Serves as a subject matter expert able to provide technical accounting guidance and regulatory financial compliance guidance to management and field staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent.
- CPA qualification or Master’s degree in Accounting preferred.
- Minimum of 5 to 8 years related work experience, including 3 years management experience and 3 years working at a corporate or headquarters level.
- Previous experience managing general ledger functions required.
- Prior experience working for a government contractor or international non-governmental organization preferred.
- Previous experience working overseas desirable. (Some travel to countries with challenging environments may be required).
- Experience using ERP systems or complex accounting software systems required. Experience with MS Navision and Deltek CostPoint desirable but not essential.
- Strong Excel skills required.
- Strong system and data analytical skills required. Must be able to solve complex problems both individually, and by leveraging team skills and resources.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to meet tight deadlines required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills required.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time. Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.