The Office of Legal Affairs, which reports directly to the Director General, provides Legal Services of the highest possible standards to the Director General, the Secretariat and to the organs and bodies of the IAEA, as well as to Member States, regarding the implementation of the IAEA's activities. The Nuclear and Treaty Law Section provides legal advice and support to the Office of the Director General and the Secretariat in the areas of nuclear safety and Security (including civil liability for nuclear damage), nuclear energy, nuclear applications and Technical Cooperation. It is also responsible for the IAEA's depositary function as well as the IAEA's legislative assistance programme, providing advice and training regarding legislative frameworks governing the safe and peaceful uses of nuclear energy to Member States. Main Purpose Under the guidance of the Head of Section and the Senior Legal Officer, the primary function of the incumbent will be to advise Member States on the implementation of international legal instruments adopted under IAEA auspices and to assist Member States in drafting corresponding national legislation. Role The incumbent is an active member of a team of six lawyers and four support staff within the Nuclear and Treaty Law Section and provides high quality professional input in developing further and implementing OLA's projects in all areas of nuclear law and the IAEA's legislative assistance programme. Functions / Key Results ExpectedApply Now
- Draft advice related to the application of international legal instruments adopted under IAEA auspices, in particular in the areas of nuclear safety, security and civil liability for nuclear damage.
- Advice to Member States regarding their respective national nuclear legislation within the IAEA's Legislative Assistance Programme.
- Preparation of studies and recommendations on the aforementioned topics for the Senior Legal Officer or the Head of Section.
- Representing OLA and delivering key lectures during IAEA missions and events including those to promote adherence to and implementation of international nuclear legal instruments under IAEA auspices.
- Assuming other duties as determined by the Senior Legal Officer or the Head of Section