The Social Policies and Rural Institutions Division (ESP) coordinates FAO’s work on social protection, gender equality, decent rural employment, rural institutions and people’s empowerment, and the right to food. It is responsible for working with member countries and other partners to reduce rural poverty through strengthening social protection systems, diversifying rural employment opportunities, reducing gender gaps and other social inequalities in agriculture, strengthening producer organizations, improving the rural poor’s access to productive resources and rural services, and achieving the overall goal of realizing the human right to adequate food for all.
Assignments related to this call are located in the Social Protection (SOCPRO) team. The SOCPRO team provides overall guidance on FAO’s approach to social protection, and provides technical support to decentralized offices in four cores areas: (i) ensuring the expansion of coverage of social protection to rural areas; (ii) promoting policy and programmatic synergies between agriculture, natural resource management and social protection; (iii) promoting nutrition sensitive social protection systems; and (iii) the development of risk informed and shock responsive social protection.
Call for expression of interest for building a roster
A Junior Social Protection Consultant or PSA is engaged by the Organization to provide expertise, skills or knowledge for the performance of a specific task or piece of work, which would be short-term by nature. The purpose of this call is to offer talented individuals committed to the principles of the United Nations Charter and the FAO’s mandate an opportunity to take a stepping-stone into developing a career devoted to improving the lot of poor smallholder farmers around the world. FAO is populating a roster, for junior level of expertise, made up of talented individuals with experience and background in the area of economic inclusion, expansion social protection coverage, coherence between social protection and agriculture, shock responsive social protection and resilience building. Individuals who satisfactorily meet or exceed the requirements of the Call will be included in the FAO Roster of Social Protection Consultants, which provides an entry point for future contracts with the Organization.
The assignment can span up to 11 months. The possibility of extension is subject to satisfactory performance and depending on the resources and needs of the Organization. The assignment may involve full-time or part-time functions supporting FAO work along the Organization’s core competencies of knowledge, capacity development, policy support, technical assistance, advocacy and partnerships.
The Junior Social Protection Consultant or PSA will be under the overall supervision of the Director of ESP, and the direct supervision of the SOCPRO Team Leader, who may delegate the superviso role to other SOCPRO Programme Officers.Technical Focus
Policy, operational and analytical support to the expansion of social protection and the promotion of coherence with agriculture, natural resource management, food security, nutrition and resilience.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide technical support aimed at forging stronger links and promoting greater policy coherence and synergies between social protection policy, food and nutrition security, agricultural development, natural resource management, resilient rural livelihoods, poverty reduction and resilience to shocks;
- Support the development of policies, strategies, programmes and projects for informing the design and implementation of social protection systems for rural poverty reduction, food and nutrition security and resilience;
- Support FAO technical backstopping to national policy and programing processes by contributing to strategic planning and technical discussions with Governments and development partners;
- Support the development, dissemination and uptake of SOCPRO knowledge products, technical documents, capacity development materials and advocacy and information materials on expansion of social protection coverage, economic inclusion, coherence between social protection agriculture, resilience and shock-responsive social protection;
- Assist in ensuring that FAO is adequately represented in institutional coordination mechanisms with a view to strengthening coordination between agriculture and social protection and resilience;
- Support to strengthen partnerships with other UN agencies and organizations to jointly identify emerging issues, key challenges, and collaboration opportunities on the expansion of social protection coverage and resilience building and continue to exchange information in areas of joint interest;
- Support resource mobilization activities by liaising with potential donors, preparing concept notes, funding proposals and project documents.
- For Consultants: Advanced university degree in rural development, (agricultural) economics, political or social sciences, agriculture or other related field.
- For PSA: University degree in rural development, (agricultural) economics, political or social sciences, agriculture or other related field.
- At least 5 years for Level B and at least 1 year for Level C of relevant experience, in policy assistance and programme development in the field policy and/or programme formulation, operational support in social policies, and social protection.
- For Consultants: Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (Arabic, French, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
- For PSA: Working knowledge of English.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work particularly in the area of extension of social protection coverage, coherence between social protection and agriculture and shock responsive social protection;
- Extent and relevance of experience in in knowledge management, communication and dissemination.
- Extent and relevance of experience in in designing and delivering capacity building activities in an international development context.
- Advanced technical writing skills in English and one of the other FAO official languages (Arabic, French, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
- Proficiency in French or Spanish will be an asset.
- Extent of knowledge and experience in policy support and technical assistance as well as programme/project development in the policy and/or programme formulation, operational support in social policies, and social protection;
- Level of knowledge and experience in concepts and methodologies related to policy and/or programme formulation, operational support in social policies, and social protection;
- Extent of experience in advocacy, policy support, capacity development and technical assistance related to policy and/or programme formulation, operational support in social policies, and social protection;
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary and multi-cultural teams.