UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the Empowerment of Women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, Humanitarian Action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on Gender Equality and Gender Mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. The Communications section at UN Women Headquarters in New York supports the positioning of women’s empowerment and gender equality as key issues on the international agenda and establishes UN Women’s role as the global authority in this context. This entails developing and promoting high-quality content, communicate about UN Women’s work, including through human-interest stories and editorial content packages to engage a global audience online. The Communications section seeks to enlist a consultant for the position of Junior Editor and Web Production Consultant, initially for one year, 7 February 2020– 6 February 2021, to assist the Web Editor in editing and web production for UN Women global website, to deliver on specific projects and goals for 2020. The consultant will assist the Web Editor in planning, editing and producing content for human-interest stories, editorial packages and major international days and corporate priorities, as well as lead the production of blogs on contemporary digital platforms, such as Medium. The candidate will provide specific support for the following upcoming projects and priorities:Apply Now
- Support the preparation and publishing of web products for the International Women’s Day and the Commission on the Status of Women,
- Eight Monthly content packages for the Generation Equality campaign from January through October 2020,
- Support web production for Generation Equality Forums in May and July 2020,
- Content preparation and publishing for 16 Days of Activism from November – December 2020, and
- Assist the Web Editor in planning and developing content for young and contemporary audiences for UN Women’s Medium blog platform from January – December.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the supervision of the Web Editor, the Consultant will be responsible for the following: Editorial support
- Assist with content planning for human-interest stories, editorial packages for the aforementioned international days and major conferences, and Generation Equality editorial packages
- Write, edit and proofread human interest stories for the global website to deliver on the monthly Generation Equality content packages from January – October and the 16 Days package from November – December
- Edit content for and lay out for new landing pages and or subsections and post updates of existing pages on the UN Women website
- Write and edit content for UN Women’s Medium platform
- Write short texts and photo captions as needed for web news and editorial content
- Post new stories and multi-media for aforementioned web editorial packages
- Proactively search for and fix formatting problems on older editorial packages, as well as add or replace missing photographs or other media
- Post content, upload documents and update various UN Women website pages.
- Monitor content and suggest/cross-post content from UN Women regional and country office websites for publication on the global website
- Monitor and report traffic and audience analytics of UN Women web content for aforementioned projects, including Generation Equality campaign
- Provide dedicated website support directly linked to upcoming major events and intergovernmental processes in the UN Women editorial calendar, including, among others:
- International Women’s Day and CSW
- International Day for Women and Girls in Science
- Generation Equality Forums
- And others
- Proficiency in using new technologies, analytics tools and web -based platforms.
- Proficiency in the use of content Management Systems; knowledge of Sitecore is a plus.
- Proficiency in the use of HTML and CSS.
- Proven experience in writing and editing human interest stories, news and blogs.
- Proven experience in proofreading editorial material, including the use of style guides.
- Self-starter; organized; team player; able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, Computer Science, web development or similar.
- 4 or more years of experience in web writing and web production.
- Experience in working with Content Management Systems, HTML and CSS.
- Fluency in English; fluency in either Spanish or French is a plus.
- Familiarity with the United Nations and understanding of gender equality issues; UN experience is an important advantage.