The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase Agricultural Productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation. IFAD's headquarters is in Rome, Italy, but operates in more than 90 countries.Apply Now
Post's organizational accountabilityThe Independent Office of Evaluation (IOE) of IFAD promotes accountability and learning through independent evaluations of IFAD's work. In line with IFAD's 2011 Evaluation Policy, IOE reports directly to the IFAD Executive Board.
Key results expected / Major functional activitiesUnder the overall strategic, policy and management guidance of the Director, IOE, and the day to day supervision of responsible IOE staff (lead evaluation specialist, senior evaluation officer or evaluation officer), the consultant will contribute to the conduct of IOE evaluations, including project level evaluations and higher-level evaluations (e.g. country strategy and programme evaluation, evaluation synthesis reports, corporate level evaluations).
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicatorsSpecific tasks may include the following:
- Collect, codify and analyse documentary data and prepare written inputs for the approach paper of evaluations;
- Prepare desk review notes on specific country context, themes or projects;
- Contribute to organizing quantitative and qualitative Data Collection;
- Support the organization of evaluation missions, and participate, as needed, in evaluation missions and selected field work to assist with logistics and Coordination, as well as the data collection process;
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data with appropriate software packages;
- Prepare written inputs as may be required, e.g. draft working papers on selected themes and evaluation criteria or contributions to the main evaluation report;
- Archive all documentation and Analysis related to the evaluation on the IOE Sharepoint environment (xDesk).
Representation / Work relationshipsThe work relationships of the consultant are primarily for information-gathering, and exchange in support of studies and thematic assignments will require to follow IFAD procedures and standards that include identifying reliable sources.
- Knowledge of contemporary quantitative and qualitative evaluation techniques and practices, preferably in the area of evaluation of Agriculture and rural development interventions.
- Field experience related to agricultural and rural development is desirable.
- Communication skills: write clearly, succinctly and convincingly, listen and communicate to engage others.
- Computer skills: full command of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and common Internet applications. Mastery of statistical analysis software is a plus.
Minimum recruitment qualificationsEducation
- Advanced university degree (at least Master's equivalent) in economics, agriculture, development studies, finance, management, public policy, social sciences or related studies.
- At least eighteen (18) months of responsible experience in international development cooperation with focus on evaluation, research, agriculture and rural development or natural resources management.
- Knowledge on natural Resource Management, sustainable agriculture, Climate Change and related issues, including how they impact rural development and poverty reduction, an asset.
- Demonstrated experience writing academic / analytical papers.
- Demonstrated experience in finding data and information through web-based sources.
- Familiarity with the U.N. system and the international agriculture and rural development community.
- Full command, both written and verbal communication, in English.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French or Spanish are an asset.
- Consultants are not considered staff of IFAD. This consultancy assignment does not carry any expectation of employment, extension or conversion to another type of contract with the Fund.
- This is a Call for Interest for Consultant Assignments from 80 to 240 days, with possibility of extension depending on performance and funding availability, but not more than 240 days in any 12 months period.
- In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful.