The Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA) conducts economic research and policy Analysis related to all five of the Organization's strategic objectives (food security and nutrition, sustainable Agriculture, poverty reduction, inclusive Food Systems and resilient livelihoods). ESA provides evidence-based analytical support to national, regional and global policy processes and initiatives related to food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture; and leads the production of two FAO flagship publications: The State of Food and Agriculture and The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World. ESA also leads large programmes at country level on agricultural and food policy monitoring, climate smart agriculture (CSA), agribusiness and food value chains, rural poverty, and food security information and analysis in support of national policies.
The Committee on World Food Security (CFS) is the foremost inclusive international and intergovernmental platform for a broad range of committed stakeholders to work together in a coordinated manner and in support of country-led processes towards the elimination of hunger and ensuring food security and nutrition for all. The CFS Secretariat is supported by FAO, IFAD and WFP, and housed within the Agricultural Economic Development Division (ESA) of FAO.
The Consultant will report to and work under the day-to-day direction of the CFS Secretary, and in close collaboration with the CFS Senior Communications Specialist and other members of the CFS Secretariat.Technical Focus
Under the overall guidance of the Secretary of the Committee on World Food Security (CFS), and in close Coordination with the senior CFS Secretariat Communications Specialist, the incumbent will assist with the development and implementation of the CFS Communications and Outreach Strategy, support CFS’s day-to-day communications functions, and assist with the preparations for the CFS annual plenary session normally held in October, including organization of its side events.Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the refinement and implementation of a robust CFS Communications and Outreach Strategy to enhance the Committee’s visibility, thought leadership, and positioning;
- Contribute to the profiling of the Committee’s past/present work to promote the Strategy’s implementation among key target audiences in the global food security policy sector;
- Support the production of strategic outreach and communication materials on the Committee’s work and their dissemination to disaggregated audiences through multiple channels;
- Support the development of communications tools and meeting documents for use by the CFS Chairperson, Secretariat, Bureau, Advisory Group, Open Ended Working Groups, and other key stakeholders;
- Provide editing services related to CFS documents, to ensure they are accurate and concise.
- Help administer the CFS public website in FAO’s official languages, ensuring it is kept up to date with relevant information;
- Support the management of the Committee’s social media accounts to drive outreach and engagement.
- Organize the process of selection and implementation of CFS 47 side events, per CFS Bureau-approved plans, including preparations for a CFS 47 “Information Marketplace”;
- Support planning for CFS intersessional activities, to maximize communication opportunities;
- Support overall communications work for the plenary.
- Support the staging of bespoke stakeholders’ events on topical issues relevant to CFS’s work for agenda setting and positioning;
- Take responsibility for regular update and maintenance of CFS’s mailing lists and contacts databases, ensuring they are kept up to date;
- Support the production of a refreshed quarterly newsletter to spotlight CFS’s priority work streams, results, and partnerships and its distribution to all stakeholders.
- Conduct regular media coverage monitoring and produce daily coverage reports for sharing with the entire Secretariat;
- Track the impact of the CFS social media presence and produce a monthly report;
- Undertake regular web traffic analytics to establish visits and engagement;
- Set up and administer regular online surveys on CFS products and processes.
- Contribute to maintaining, broadening CFS’s visual identity, and measure/report results;
- Assist to organize media interviews, press conferences and other media moments;
- Help produce visual communication products including videos, infographics, etc.;
- Assist senior Communications specialist and CFS Secretary with other duties, as requested.
- University degree in Social Sciences or other field of reference to public policy
- 1 to 5 years of relevant experience in communication and media
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- Familiarity with Typo-3, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and communications software and platforms is a plus.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in communications
- Familiarity with modern communications software and social Media Platforms
- Demonstrated creativity in professional communications settings