WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.ABOUT WFP
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving Lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
In 2019, WFP is scaling up its Yemen operations aiming to provide 12 million people with monthly food assistance through direct food distributions, vouchers or cash and nutritional support to nearly 3 million pregnant and nursing women and children under 5.ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). The Job holders report to a Head of the Unit, Chief or Information Technology Officer.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
The IM associate will serve as an active member of the ETC Team, through engagement and contribution to Yemen Emergency Operation and response, who will be responsible for:
1. Sharing of Operational Information, focused on information collection, Analysis and dissemination related to implementing ETC activities/operations in a specific context or emergency.
2. Monitoring and Reporting, focused on documenting reporting on the performance of the ETC services provision.
3. Advocacy focused on the mobilization of resources and increasing awareness of the ETC activities in Yemen.KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (Part 1)
- Coordination of reporting activities relating to ETC operations as well as WFP IT and telecommunications activities;
- Liaise with Emergency Telecommunications Cluster participants, other cluster members, WFP and national counterparts to gather information for the production of Situation Reports and information products;
- Writing of regular Situation Reports, blogs, stories summarizing ETC and WFP IT activities in the country;
- Manage content of ETC country operations page – in close coordination with the Global ETC Support Cell in Rome and the IT Emergency and Preparedness Branch in Dubai;
- Establish, moderate and maintain ETC country mailing list;
- Maintain internal information sharing mechanisms, documentation formats and templates, central file store, according to ETC guidance;
- Coordination of global and local meetings and teleconferences for the ETC and WFP IT including scheduling of meetings, preparation of talking points and recording and distribution of meeting minutes;
- Monitoring and reviewing of regular sources of information and data required for preparation of reports, e.g. information from NGOs, news clippings, surveys, information from field monitors;
- Compilation of ETC and WFP IT information required for OCHA and Country Office reporting materials;
- Monitoring of relevant ETC email account and direct requests for information as appropriate;
- Development and distribution of ETC User-Feedback Survey; compilation, analysis and presentation of results;
- Preparation and editing of texts on the ETC and WFP IT for news releases, feature articles, briefing notes, backgrounders, Questions & Answers (Q&A) and other materials for use in the media and distribution to the public, educational institutions, non-governmental agencies and donors;
- Assist in the assessment of S4C (Service for Community) project proposals and activities.
- As S4C focal point, monitor and assess the impact of S4C activities to ensure fit for purpose.
- Assist in the preparation, writing and editing of all other reports or documentation required by the ETC and WFP IT such as Concept of Operations (ConOps), project documents and funding appeals;
- Standardize and execute quality control of ETC/IT assessments and activity reports in close collaboration with the Global ETC Support Cell in Rome and the IT Emergency and Preparedness Branch in Dubai;
- Recognize and assess the sensitivity of information obtained; Respect the confidential nature of sources of information where relevant;
- Attend relevant meetings including the relevant local inter-agency working groups; represent the ETC when requested;
- Provision of guidance and oversight on ETC and WFP IT documentation as required to ensure consistent messaging;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Language: Fluency level C in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic.
Experience: Minimum Five years of relevant experience:
- Experience in in Information Technology Processes, equipment availability to end-users, Asset Management and provide effective IT services for WFP Yemen operations.
- Experience in data processing, analysis, reporting, preferably in an Information Technology Department.
- Experience in the field of information technology, preferably as Database Administrator.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing, transforming technical terminology into easily understood language;
- Good analytical skills, resourcefulness, initiative;
- Ability to plan and organise work programme; ability to work with minimum supervision under own initiative;
- Tact and ability to work harmoniously with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills ability to conceptualise issues, think in abstract terms, and analyse numerical data;
- Strong oral and written communications skills;
- Basic knowledge of ICT operations and humanitarian reform / cluster concept appreciated;
- Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description;
- Requires the ability to work under pressure and on multiple tasks
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Change Implementation, Project management, Planning and Optimization Has basic understanding of project management principles to provide basic estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.
Technical Expertise Continuously updates one’s own knowledge about new technologies and product modifications; Is sought out for advice/expertise and recognized internally as an important technical reference.
Service Management Monitors and supervises maintenance and installation work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence and takes proper actions to correct inconsistencies and improve overall quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved.
Client Management Exhibits a detailed understanding of customers’ IT requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customers ‘needs. Identifies recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions.
Procurement and Contract Management
Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- WFP is an equal opportunity employer.
- WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
- The applicant should be a Yemeni national or having work/residency permit.
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
- Applications must be submitted online with:
- Use English language only.
- Indicate all your job TOR.
- Indicate clear years of experience with each job (month/year)
- WFP FT staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply.
- By submitting your application, you have read the Terms of Reference for this position and agree that any false, wrong or incomplete information might lead to your disqualification in this recruitment process.
17 June 2020
WFP never uses external recruitment agencies and recruitment is always is free of charge. WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. The selection of staff are made on a competitive basis and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance. Only applicants whose profiles meet the advertised job requirements will be considered and only within the announced deadline.
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.