Organ: The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas:Apply Now
- Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department
- Partnerships for Digital Development Department
- Digital Networks & Society Department
- Digital Knowledge Hub Department
- Identifies, evaluates and manages all IT/Telecommunication (hardware, software, mobile) procurement orders for all BDT staff (Headquarters and Field Offices). Identifies the functional requirements of BDT staff and with a complete understanding of the technical restrictions imposed by the Information Services Department (IS) or Field Office, liaises with hardware and software partners to assess functionality of the system and purchases the optimal hardware/software solution in a cost-effective manner. Verifies and follows-up on installation and configuration of the systems by experts. Provides advice to IS and ITS regarding the impact of proposed hardware/software solution.
- Installs, manages and maintains the Electronic Working Methods meeting tools and services. Designs, tests, manages and delivers projects in the field of development and maintenance of Electronic Collaborative Tools. This includes gathering and documenting the requirements from business users, designing the workflows and interfaces, implementing the design and deploying the solution while training the business users.
- In collaboration with the IS Department, coordinates all hardware, software, IT equipment configuration, Internet Service Provider, local IT support company and procurement for the Field Offices. Maintains an inventory of all IT/Telecommunication hardware for individual staff (Headquarters and Field Offices). Manages a pool of IT equipment for the BDT to ensure continuity of work. Manages mobile phone subscriptions for all BDT staff (Headquarters and Field Offices). Manages all IT/Telecommunication related aspects of change management.
- Is the focal point for all incoming second level support from the Service Desk. Troubleshoots, identifies, documents and tracks the problem, assigning the Service Desk ticket to the appropriate ITS staff member who is responsible for the service/application causing the problem. Liaises with Service Desk on the status of tickets and when to close them. Provides second level support for specific BDT IT/Telecommunications issues.
- Provides first level support, troubleshooting and training for ITU-D delegates and BDT staff in the use of Electronic Working Methods collaborative tools. Prepares training material and conducts training to all BDT staff (Headquarters and Field Offices) for all aspects of BDT IT/Telecommunications.
- Coordinates trainings with HR and IS Departments. Prepares the necessary user guides for all BDT staff. Prepares and maintains system documentation for all aspects of BDT IT/Telecommunication. Maintains various lists, information pages, procedures and developed software programs for any of the aspects of BDT IT/Telecommunications.
- Provides support in designing, developing and implementing collaborative tools, including web support, and workflows for all BDT staff (Headquarters and Field Offices) including organizing information in the collaborative platform and implementing processes that streamline and simplify information management and collaboration.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision-Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change, and; Planning and Organizing.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Comprehensive background and understanding of subjects related to systems analysis, programming and training. Problem solving and troubleshooting complex issues independently and within a team. Excellent knowledge in collaborative systems and tools, especially with Microsoft SharePoint sites and Office365 using related APIs, web parts from across Office 365, including Teams, Groups, OneDrive and Exchange. Excellent knowledge of Database technology and experienced with Microsoft SQL Server. Excellent knowledge in web technology, especially with Microsoft SharePoint using .NET and C# and WordPress using PHP. ITIL Foundation v3 or v4 Certificate would be an advantage.