Are you passionate about supporting the origination, structuring, negotiation, approval and closing of telecoms, media and technology (TMT) projects in the Latin American and Caribbean region to have a positive impact in the lives of millions? If so, we may be looking for you!
Background: Our Investment Operations Department’s goal is to generate sustainable projects with significant development impact from the prospecting stage through closing and monitoring.
Our department follows a matrix model, with three Segment Divisions covering Infrastructure and Energy, Financial Institutions and Corporates, and three transversal areas such as the Financial Products and Services Division, the Advisory Services Team and the Portfolio Management Division.
The team: Our Corporates Division is responsible for supporting a broad range of critical business sectors including agribusiness, manufacturing, tourism, telecom, media and technology.
You will report to the Head of TMT and will coordinate with other organizational of IDB Invest, IDB and IDB Lab, as needed. You will be responsible for developing new business opportunities and leading client engagements in the TMT segment as well as supporting the TMT team in evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and closing new transactions.
What you’ll do:
- Leads the delivery of TMT segment projects across Latin America and the Caribbean from the prospecting stage through origination, structuring, negotiation, approval and closing.
- Leads the approval and closing of complex transactions involving the use of loans, credit guarantees and equity and quasi equity instruments.
- Coordinates with the environmental, social and governance safeguards, finance, development effectiveness, legal, and risk functions as it relates to project structuring and closing of deals.
- Analyzing and processing investment projects.
- Provides technical advice and supports the development of IDBG Country Strategies and IDB Invest’s multi-year Business Plans in relation to the TMT sector and helps identify and overcome specific institutional and regulatory bottlenecks.
- Proactively identifies problem projects within the TMT segment and negotiates restructurings as needed.
- Keeps abreast of industry dynamics, innovations being introduced in the market by competitors and of developments impacting the TMT segment. Shares market intelligence across the sector and the IDBG as relevant.
- Oversees preparation of lessons learned related to TMT projects within and outside the IDBG. Disseminates information to project teams on transaction strengths, weaknesses, risks and risk mitigation options.
- Plays a meaningful role in the TMT and private sector development communities by liaising with industry experts, potential clients, potential partners and stakeholders in the TMT segment. Seeks to build new relationships to generate new business opportunities.
- You are recognized as TMT segment expert and represents IDB Invest on the topic in industry related events and activities
- Coordinates the work and provides leadership, coaching, mentoring and technical advice to more junior Investment Management Officers working in the TMT segment.
Education You hold at least a Master’s, MBA, or equivalent in Finance, Business Administration, Engineering, International Development or other relevant field.
Experience You have at least ten (10) years of relevant experience in loan origination, structuring or portfolio management with a proven track-record working with both equity and debt. You have experience investing in the TMT segment and Latin America and the Caribbean. You understand client needs and challenges of different country/regional areas, market idiosyncrasies, and drivers of change in Latin America and the Caribbean. Proven solid experience in a similar role in an investment firm, commercial or developmental bank or reputable financial institution is desirable. Very strong financial modeling/valuation and analytical skills will be considered a plus.
Language Skills Oral and written professional proficiency in English and either Spanish or Portuguese required.
- Type of contract: fixed term
- Length of contract: 3 years
- Location: Washington, DC
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of private investment development fields, including infrastructure and energy, corporates, financial institutions, financial and non-financial products and services, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
About us: IDB Invest, a member of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Group, is a multilateral organization, committed to the development of the private sector of Latin America and the Caribbean by financing loans, equity investments, and guarantees. In addition, IDB Invest partners with clients to provide advisory and training services.
The IDB Invest offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
The IDB Invest is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity based on gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.