Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in Agriculture, Economic Growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and Social Inclusion. Investment Briefs for Spices Consultant, Myanmar ACDI/VOCA is seeking an Investment Briefs for Spices Consultant for the USAID-funded Agriculture and Food Systems Development Activity (AFDA) in Myanmar. The AFDA facilitates the transformation of agriculture and food systems by increasing productivity, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of the agricultural market system in the zone of influence (ZOI) such as Kachin State, Shan State, Mandalay Region, Sagaing Region and Magway Region. Transformation of the agriculture and food market systems demands substantial investments in the priority sectors identified by the AFDA. To generate investor interest in these priority sectors, AFDA will develop investment briefs that will provide information on the opportunities for growth in these sectors. This assignment will focus on identifying investment opportunities in the spices sector including onion, turmeric, ginger, chili, garlic and other spices that have growth potential based on unmet domestic and international market demand or market opportunities and gap in existing available resources in the sector. The anticipated timeframe for this assignment is August 24 to September 23 2020 with up to 25 days of effort. The primary locations are Yangon and SOI, SE Asia.Apply Now
- Determine domestic and international market opportunities and unmet market demand for spices and value-added products.
- Assess gaps between available resources (postharvest handling, consolidation and packing, and processing facilities, Logistics-warehousing/storage and transport, equipment, seeds, standards and certification support facilities such as laboratories, etc.) in the ZOI and what is required to meet market opportunities for spices and value-added products.
- Map (geographically and across value chains) unmet market demand for investment financing in the spice sector in AFDA ZOI.
- Assess specific investment needs highlighting those with highest potential to generate investor interest.
- Provide details on types of investment products that are most suited to opportunities.
- Develop investment briefs that include
- Summary of market opportunities spices and value-added products
- Summary of gaps in resources (infrastructure facilities, equipment, logistics, etc.) needed for the sector to take advantage of market opportunities
- Key investment opportunities
- Requirements for specific investments to be viable, such as technical requirements, economies of scale and investment cost, etc.
- Information (estimates) on financial metrics that are commonly required by investors and financing institutions for each identified investment opportunity
- A University degree in business, investment and finance or related field. A Master’s degree in a related field is a plus
- Proven experience in investment generation especially in the agriculture sector
- Experience in Market Research and Feasibility Studies
- Familiarity with markets for spices and its value-added products in the region and in other international markets an advantage
- Familiarity with spice sector anywhere in the world an advantage
- Extensive experience developing investment briefs
- Familiarity with Myanmar’s spices sector and markets an advantage
- CV specifically responding to required qualifications
- Samples of investment briefs and/or feasibility studies previously conducted
- At least two references from relevant previous contracting party, specifically for investment brief or feasibility study
- Cost proposal – Professional fee daily rate