The maritime sector is rapidly increasing in the past years, as a source for further economic development and international cooperation. The Government of Albania has made progress in maintenance and infrastructure of port facilities in line with the Sector Strategy, priorities stipulated in the Government Program, the National Transport Plan, the National Strategy for Development and Integration and the Medium-Term Budget Plan. Supporting data from INSTAT show that in 2017 compared to 2016, the volume of freight loading and unloading in Albanian ports has increasing by 7.1 %, the number of passengers travelling by sea line is increasing by 16.9%, the goods exported by sea represent 62.8 % of the total transport as well as goods imported by sea represent 48.6 %. Maritime transport is primarily concerned with the transport of freight and passengers by sea. The sector is associated with many other activities such as ship agency, chartering and brokering, maritime labour and education, multimodal and intermodal transport and related services. Cooperation on various services notably those linked to the capacity building in the public sector and better coordination of planning activities is needed for preparing the ground for better marine and maritime governance and services. The “Enhancing the Development of Albanian Maritime Sector through Technical Assistance and Increased Partnership” project, aims to enhance the integration of Albanian Maritime Standards in line with the EU requirements, by developing and implementing maritime transport policy framework, improve capacities in the field and encourage the development of a Maritime Clusters in Albania with the relevant stakeholders.Apply Now
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review of information to be provided by the Albanian Maritime Administration/General Maritime Directorate (GMD) on potential candidates for training on Port State Control/Paris MoU;
- Elaboration of training program for Port State Control officers;
- Delivery/execution of theoretical training sessions;
- Execution of training examination and discussion of results;
- Execution of practical training aboard different vessels (general cargo, passenger/ferry, tanker, small vessel) to be nominated by the General Maritime Directorate;
- Evaluation of findings detected during practical training sessions;
- Assessment of trainees’ capabilities;
- Proposals for further development and activities with regard to Port State Control.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Communication - Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals in line with agreed strategies, identifies priorities, foresees risks and makes allowances accordingly.
- Organizational Awareness - Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Teamwork - Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and delivers outputs in accordance with agreed time, cost and quality standards
- Thorough understanding of disability issues, human rights, social inclusion and social services
- Excellent inter-personal and teamwork skills, networking attitude;
- Capacity to deliver as per deadlines;
- Ability to pick up new terminology and concepts easily.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation
- Advanced university degree in maritime policy, maritime management or related field.
- Seven years of work experience in maritime, transport sector and related infrastructure;
- Excellent knowledge on Maritime Governance related to acquis communitaire and IMO requirements.
- Demonstrable experience in training and capacity building of stakeholders and institutions.
- Qualified and certified trainer on Port State Control.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Albanian policies related to the maritime sector, port governance and operation procedures is an advantage;
- Familiarity with key beneficiary institutions from maritime domain and other related economic operators is an advantage;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Criteria A: Relevant work experience – max 30 points
- Criteria B: Demonstrable experience in training and capacity building of stakeholders and institutions and certified trainer on Port State Control – max 20 points
- Criteria C: Education Background - max 20 points
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability-please fill in the attached form... www.un.org.al/sites/default/files/IC_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx
- Latest personal CV, including past experience from similar projects or completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SC) and Individual Contracts (IC) – Blank form Download here.
- Financial Proposal - specifying a total lump sum amount in USD for completion of the tasks specified in this announcement. The financial proposal should indicate an all-inclusive fixed total contract price and all other travel related costs (such as flight ticket, per diem, etc), supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template attached to the Letter of Confirmation of Interest template. If an applicant is employed by an organization/company/institution, and he/she expects his/her employer to charge a management fee in the process of releasing him/her to UNDP under Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA), the applicant must indicate at this point, and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposal submitted to UNDP. http://www.un.org.al/doc/Financial%20Offer%20template.doc
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
- Merge your CV or P11, Financial Proposal Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.