Since December 1, 2018, UNDP has been implementing a joint project “Partnering for SDG acceleration” with the Ministry of Finance and Economy of Turkmenistan. The project’s main beneficiaries are the Ministry of Finance and Economy of Turkmenistan and the State Statistics Committee of Turkmenistan. The project includes the following outputs: 1) improving Coordination mechanisms and supporting SDG reporting; 2) Capacity Development for SDGs mainstreaming into the national development programs and financial plans; 3) setting up SDGs database and boosting national statistical capacity. According to the Decree of the President of Turkmenistan adopted on November 17, 2017, on the approval of the institutional structure of the SDG monitoring system in Turkmenistan, the Ministry of Finance and Economy of Turkmenistan is entrusted with functions and tasks related to coordinating activities for the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals in Turkmenistan, including: 1) preparing and providing the government agencies with methodological notes, guidelines and consultations for preparing SDG reports jointly with the UN agencies in Turkmenistan; 2) compiling reports on the implementation of SDGs in Turkmenistan prepared by government agencies; and 3) preparing a National Report on the implementation of the SDGs in Turkmenistan, preparing it for the approval by the SDGs Working Group and submitting for consideration to the Cabinet of Ministers of Turkmenistan. Turkmenistan attaches a special importance to the implementation of the Addis Ababa Action Agenda of the Third International Conference on Financing for Development, which is an integral part of the global 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The implementation of the second component of the project requires an expert evaluation of Financial Instruments for financing the SDGs, including various international development funds. The UNDP project will continue providing technical assistance to the Ministry of Finance and Economy of Turkmenistan in the area of SDG financing, and therefore seeks a consultancy on preparation of a review of global, international and regional funding mechanisms in order to attract external investment to national financing system and achieve diversification of financial flows in the implementation of the SDGsApply Now
Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe objective of this assignment is to prepare a review and guidelines on global, international and regional funds, including the financing mechanisms of International Financial Institutions and organizations, and to submit recommendations to the Ministry of Finance and Economy of Turkmenistan on potential areas of cooperation with abovementioned funds for financing the SDGs in Turkmenistan. Under the overall guidance of the UNDP Programme Analyst on Governance, Economic Diversification, and Inclusive Growth and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the main task of the International Consultant will be to prepare a review and guidelines of global, international and regional funds, as well as recommendations on potential areas of cooperation with Turkmenistan. In addition, the Consultant should provide an overview of and hold a one-day webinar on the experiences of the countries in the region regarding cooperation with relevant funds that have experience in financing the SDGs and implementing financial mechanisms for development. Scope of Work and Deliverables: As part of this assignment, the consultant is requested to:
- Prepare a review and guidelines on global, international and regional funds, including international financial institutions with presented list of global, international and regional funds, including thematic focus/priorities of each (as relevant), as well as financing mechanisms to provide grants and loans, and tools for public financing, international private financing, mixed financing, etc;
- Provide an overview of international best practices from various countries with funding and investment methods for achieving the SDGs. Present a set of measures provided by international financial institutions to mitigate the socio-economic impact of Covid-19;
- Provide recommendations on potential areas of cooperation between Turkmenistan and global, international and regional funds, including international financial institutions, in order to attract investments to finance the SDGs. Prepare a presentation and hold a webinar for specialists of finance, economy and Banking sector of Turkmenistan.
- Strong analytical skills;
- Communication, interpersonal and diplomatic skills with focus on results;
- Decisiveness, independence, good judgment, ability to work in stressful situations, ability to work in a team;
- Ability to plan and organize work, effectively fulfill obligations, meet deadlines, and achieve results;
- A clear understanding of the mission and tasks of UNDP.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Higher education, (preferably a master's and / or doctor's degree) in economics, finance, and other similar areas.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in public finance management, or a related field;
- Experience in finance management, investments management, or in similar areas;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the international financial architecture, global and regional Financial Resources, thematic foundations, and related resources available;
- Experience in working with IFIs is a strong asset;
- Practical experience in related fields is preferable.
- Fluent written and spoken English;
- Good knowledge of Russian is a strong asset.
- Description of the methodology (1-2 pages) for the assignment;
- Financial Proposal with the references to (1) the daily rate for the assignment and within the timing scale indicated in the present TOR, and (2) any other expenses (including transportation costs, accommodation costs, the possibility of vaccination and etc.). Template of the form can be found at http://www.tm.undp.org/content/turkmenistan/en/home/procurement.html. The UNDP will enter into an Individual Contract based on a lump sum amount. The financial proposal shall represent a detailed, justified and “all inclusive” amount. In order to assist UNDP in the comparison of financial proposals, the financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum amount, including: a daily fee for the tasks and an estimated duration as specified in this announcement, travel (to and from the missions), per diems, any other possible costs (including vaccinations, dwelling, communication etc.);
- Personal CV form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees.
- a daily fee for the tasks and an estimated duration as specified in this announcement;
- travel (within the country);
- any other possible costs (including printing, communication etc.).
- Responsive/compliant and
- Having received the highest score – out of 100 points
- Education – 20 points;
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in public finance management – 20 points;
- Work experience with UN – 10 points;
- International experience in similar assignments – 10 points;
- Methodology – 20 points;
- Fluency in English – 10 points;
- Fluency in Russian – 10 points;