International Consultant (Needs Assessment of Border Control Points for More Efficient Combatting Illicit Trafficking of Weapons, Ammunition and Explosives)
Attention! Proposals for tender ref. num. IC/100/2020 should be submitted ONLY to e-mail email@example.com no later than 17:00 30 June, 2020 (Minsk time, UTC+3).
All interested candidates shall submit their Offeror's Letter. Please familiarize yourself with INDIVIDUAL CONTRACT template and General Terms and Conditions for ICs.
The selected Candidate will have to provide a Statement of Health prior to signing a contract with UNDP.
According to the Project Annual Work Plan for 2020 it is required to organize a Needs Assessment mission to the preselected border crossing points (BCPs) taking into account risk Analysis, cost benefit analysis, their mobility and categorization. Based on the findings and recommendations of this in-depth assessment a number of inspection and detection equipment will be later procured by the Project to the selected BCPs.
Within this context, UNDP in Belarus needs to engage International Consultant to act as an overall Advisor and technical expert to support the State Border Committee of Belarus in taking the appropriate evidence-based measures for improving the technical capacity of the BCPs through the preparation of a detailed list of inspection and detection equipment, including specifications and cost estimates, and the development of recommendations on further improvement of the technical capacities of the State Border Committee to counter illicit trafficking of firearms, ammunition and explosives more efficiently.
Duties and Responsibilities
The principle overall output of the engagement will a list of equipment recommended for procurement to the pre-selected BCPs with detailed specifications and cost estimates as well as a final assessment/mission report which shall include an analysis of the current technical capacities used for inspection, detection and control, main gaps and challenges identified, proposals on appropriate solutions for addressing these challenges and recommendations on key human and technical resources required for more effective inspection and detection of weapons, ammunition and explosives.
Under the guidance of UNDP Belarus Project Manager, the Consultant will be responsible for the development of the recommendation on procurement of inspection and detection equipment to the pre-selected border crossing points within the available funds in order to support successful efforts and measures against illicit firearms, ammunition and explosives.
Please see the detailed Terms of Reference.
- Working knowledge and spoken English, that is proved by relevant certificates (language courses, university diploma mentioning English studies, training abroad etc.);
- Working knowledge of written and spoken Russian is an asset that is proved by relevant certificates (language courses, university diploma mentioning Russian studies, training abroad etc.).
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree (at least Bachelor’s level) in any of the following fields: Law, governance, Border Management or any other related area.
- At least 4 years of international expertise and practical experience in conducting assessments in the area of technical and resource capacities of border and/or other law-enforcement agencies;
- Demonstrated proven experience in performing at least 3 similar assignments in international technical assistance projects or its relevant subcomponents in Belarus and/or EU countries;
- Solid knowledge of best international and European practices in integrated border management; familiar with practical applications of different border control approaches and techniques that is proved by previous successful experience in projects on integrated border management;
- Knowledge of relevant Belarusian regulations and standards in border Management Development is an asset that is proved by previous relevant experience in the Republic of Belarus.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.