The main aim of FAO Country Offices, headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve Food Security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. FAO Lao PDR assists the Government to develop policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. FAO participates in the development and implementation of field projects in the sectors of food security, Agriculture and rural development. This requires the integration within the broader framework of sustainable food and agriculture that aims at increasing production and productivity, addressing Climate Change, and managing natural resources; and enhancing rural livelihoods, as well as supporting the Food and Nutrition security and early warning activities responding to increase the resilience of livelihoods to food and agriculture threats and crises
The consultant will report to the FAO Representative in Lao PDR.Technical Focus
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Lao PDR and in close Coordination with the AFAOR - P, the International Consultant will carry out the following tasks which will need to be based on material prepared and drafted by FAO-Laos for the development of communication products, with emphasis on (a) summarising and editing communication text, and (b) development of layout and graphic Design.Tasks and responsibilities
- Update web pages in the FAO-Laos website as needed:
- Meeting/workshops/events Page and News page which need to be updated at least twice per month.
- Vacancies (Outdated vacancy announcements to be hidden and new ones added).
- List of projects page and highlights of key recent activities of each project if needed. Keep online only ongoing project and hide/remove the others.
- Resources page which need to be up-to-date and highlight key overall resource allocation and related matters (Add new resources as necessary).
- FAO Lao’s “Partners” page (monitor and update relevant information on FAO Lao’s partners. In particular, ensure that the full name of the institutions under the title Partners and Donors).
- Liaise with Communication Officer from the Regional Office (RAP), OCC, UN Communication team and local press/media for any matters relating to FAO work at global, regional, country levels and in the fields.
- In regular consultation and coordination with the Regional Communication Officer, FAORAP, the incumbent shall ensure coherence with FAO’s corporate communication policy and operational guidelines for all communication and information outputs.
- Prepare press release of events e.g. meeting, workshop, mission, etc.
- Prepare layouts for leaflets and other printed publications especially to keep visibility of FAO’s projects and activities as needed.
- Prepare graphics/artwork for other purposes, e.g. publications and presentations
- Take still photographs, video footage and video Graphic Design and editing as needed
- Support preparation of briefs, talking points and other materials as required
- Perform any other communication related work as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWINGMinimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, international relations or in subject related to the work of the organization
- At least 5 years of experience in communication and information management with high experience in graphic design, outreach Communication Development, article writing, photo footage;
- Working knowledge of English.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to deliver results within deadlines
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision;
- Strong oral and written English communication skills;
- Experience in working with UN/ international partners/organizations and government agencies