Posting Title: INTERN - STATISTICS, I (Temporary Job Opening) Job Code Title: INTERN - STATISTICS Department/Office: Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific Duty Station: TOKYO Posting Period: 11 April 2019 - 30 September 2019 Job Opening Number: 19-Statistics-ESCAP-115181-J-Tokyo (A) United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity Organisational Setting and Reporting The United Nations Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific (SIAP) internship is for at least two months with an opportunity for extension up to six months, if required by the institute. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (37.5 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the institute to which they are assigned. SIAP is a regional institution of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP). It is guided by the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics and the Principles Governing International Statistical Activities, and by the work programme and membership of ESCAP, including through the Governing Council of the institute. SIAP's mandates arise from a number of General Assembly, ECOSOC and ESCAP resolutions. SIAP provides practical training to official statisticians with the aim to strengthen the capacity of national statistical systems to produce, analyse and disseminate statistics that meet the needs of a wide range of users, as well as the statistical training capability of the former. SIAP works closely with ESCAP's Statistics Division in implementing the statistics subprogramme of the commission, the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, other United Nations entities, and numerous subregional, regional and international organizations. Responsibilities Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to:Apply Now
- Assist in the process to commission, and subsequently maintain, the institute's dedicated e-learning server
- Assist in the further development of the institute's learning management system (LMS)
- Assist in the development of material for the LMS
- Assist in the design and delivery of e-learning courses
- Assist in the further development and maintenance of the institute's website
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme;
- shall be computer literate in standard software applications;
- have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Degree Programme (What are you currently studying or what have you studied)
- Graduation date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme?)
- List of the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
- List of your top three areas of interest
- Explanation about why you are the most suitable candidate for this specific internship
- Explanation of your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme