Posting Title: INTERN - STATISTICS, I (Temporary Job Opening) Job Code Title: INTERN - STATISTICS Department/Office: Economic Commission for Africa Duty Station: ADDIS ABABA Posting Period: 19 March 2019 - 30 December 2019 Job Opening Number: 19-Statistics-ECA-113821-J-Addis Ababa (A) United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity Organisational Setting and Reporting This internship is located in the Statistical Development, Data Innovation & Outreach Section of the African Centre for Statistics (ACS), at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The internship is for two (2) months with an opportunity for extension, depending on the needs of the section. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. The intern will work for five days per week under the supervision of the Chief of the Section. The Statistical Development, Data Innovation & Outreach Section deals with compiling socio-economic data on African countries to provide timely and quality statistics to ECA policy work and produce analytical statistical publications. The focus of this internship will be to assist the section in its work of compiling, validating and processing data and undertake research Data exchange, Big Data, Open data, Reproducible Analytical Pipeline (RAP). The Internship may also assist the section in enhancing existing statistical information system. Responsibilities Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Statistical Development, Data Innovation & Outreach Section, the intern will carry out the following functions;Apply Now
- Assists in designing, organizing, planning and managing the collection, evaluation, analysis, compilation and dissemination of statistical data.
- Assists in developing, implementing and managing statistical database applications.
- Assists in training and technical support on data collection programmes, country practices and other related information.
- Performs methodological research as inputs for technical documentation.
- Prepares draft technical documents for international, intergovernmental and expert group meetings and assists in drafting relevant reports.
- Assists in the organization of seminars, working groups and expert meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Ability to provide independent evaluations and analyze statistical data. Ability to prepare reports. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or
- Degree Programme (what are you currently studying?);
- Graduation date (when will you or when did you graduate from the programme?);
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in;
- List your top three areas of interest;
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship;
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme;