The United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) makes public and private finance work for the poor in the world’s 47 least developed countries. With its capital mandate and instruments, UNCDF offers “last mile” finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support local economic development. UNCDF’s financing models work through three channels: inclusive digital economies, connecting individuals, households, and small businesses with financial eco-systems that catalyze participation in the local economy, and provide tools to climb out of poverty and manage financial lives; local development finance, that capacitates localities through fiscal decentralization, innovative municipal finance, and structured project finance to drive local economic expansion and sustainable development; and investment finance, that provides catalytic financial structuring, de-risking, and capital deployment to drive SDG impact and domestic resource mobilization. By strengthening how finance works for poor people at the household, small enterprise, and local infrastructure levels, UNCDF contributes to Sustainable Development Goal-SDG 1 on eradicating poverty and SDG 17 on the means of implementation. By identifying those market segments where innovative financing models can have transformational impact in helping to reach the last mile and address exclusion and inequalities of access, UNCDF contributes to a broad diversity of SDGs. UNCDF is seeking an intern to be part of the Partnerships, Policy and Communications Unit (PPC) in its Headquarters located in New York, United States. Working under the guidance and supervision of the Head of PPC, and working closely with PPC staff, the intern will support the ongoing workplan and goals of the unit, including but not limited to expanding partnerships; supporting and improving communications efforts, including on social media and through the creation of stakeholder content; preparing policy briefs for high level meetings; supporting the launch of major initiatives on blended finance and enterprises in Africa; and building and maintaining a base of knowledge about Member States. IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a general call for internships throughout 2020-2021. We accept applications all-year round from interested and qualified applicants, on an ongoing basis for Internship opportunities with the Partnerships Policy and Communications Team at our New York Headquarters. Interested Candidates can apply at any time indicating the timeframe of their availability in the internship form. However, only those candidates selected for interviews/further assessment by hiring managers will be contacted on an ongoing basis, as per organizational need.Apply Now
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the guidance & supervision of the Head of Partnerships, Policy and Communications PPC Unit, and in close collaboration with other colleagues in the PPC Unit, the intern will assist in any of the following tasks:
- Write blogs, feature and success stories about results achieved and efforts pursued under UNCDF projects and programmes in the areas of financial inclusion and local development finance, based on relevant inputs from project/programme managers, partners and donors.
- Support the writing, translation, design and production of communication outputs, such as in drafting press releases and publications, and dissemination to UNDP country offices, UNCDF country and regional offices, partners and stakeholders.
- Draft policy and partnership briefs ahead of meetings of the Executive Secretary;
- Contribute to drafting of a flagship policy report on blended finance .
- Support the team throughout the preparatory process for the Fifth UN Conference on the LDCs, including conference logistics, drafting policy language, and engaging with LDC and donor missions
- Draft/update country briefs about key donor countries detailing their development policies and foreign policy priorities.
- Participate in the Administration of PPC’s various newsletter campaigns.
- Contribute to the creation of content for specific stakeholders, including presentation decks and literature.
- Assist in boosting UNCDF’s presence in online communications and social media; provide assistance as required in the maintenance of the UNCDF online platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube channel, Instagram etc.
- Provide Technical Support to UNCDF country teams in the development and appropriate use of communication and advocacy tools (i.e. newsletter, websites, posters, brochures, pamphlets) to increase visibility of UNCDF.
- Assist the PPC Unit in organizing events, launches of publications, seminars and conferences, global campaigns.
- Support colleagues across the agency on issues including but not limited to blended finance; impact investing; development finance; or support to Least Developed Countries.
- Support colleagues in undertaking due diligence related to partner engagement.
CompetenciesUNCDF/UNDP Core competencies:
- People Management
- Demonstrates strong writing skills, particularly the ability to present persuasive, coherent and well-founded arguments.
- Demonstrates ability to write in a style that is accessible to a broad audience of policymakers, academics and activists.
- Demonstrates drive to achieve results in timely manner and to seek and find solutions to any problems encountered.
- Demonstrates ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to convert complex and abstract ideas into simple visual concepts.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UNCDF in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrates an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff.
- Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Demonstrates an intellectual curiosity and deep desire to learn.
- Demonstrates a consistent commitment to pro-actively helping fellow members of the PPC Unit and UNCDF more broadly in their day-to-day activities to the reasonable extent possible.
- Solid Understanding of international relations and development.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation: Candidate must be enrolled in a degree programme in Social Sciences, International Relations, Economic Development, Economics, Finance, Journalism, Political Science, Communications, Graphic Design, Marketing or another related field. Applicants to the UNCDF Internship Programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements: (a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); (c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation. Work Experience & Desired Skillset: • Experience in online Content Development is desirable. • Experience in communications and social media outreach. • Experience writing analytical pieces on foreign policy, development issues, development finance is desirable. • Prior experience with the multilateral system is desirable. • Must be able to work in a multicultural environment and be aware of political sensitivities. • Familiarity with social Media Platforms and graphic design and photo editing Software Applications (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop). • Knowledge on designing for print and Digital Media is highly desirable • Proficient in using new technologies, web-based platforms and social media networks; familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite and other design platforms is a plus. • Proficient or prior experience in Powerpoint and/or Keynote would be preferable. • Self-starter; organized; able to multitask, balance multiple responsibilities, and work to deadline. Languages: • Fluency in English required. Fluency in French is considered highly desirable • Knowledge of other UN languages will be considered a plus. General Internships Terms & Conditions:
- UNCDF Internship programme is governed by the UNDP Internship policy framework & rules.
- Under the new revised UNDP internship policy, UNCDF will provide a modest monthly internship stipend to its interns, in accordance with the provisions of the UNDP Internship policy. All expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern or her/his sponsoring entity/institution. Stipends are available only for full-time/on-site inernships at this time.
- Selected Interns must be able to share proof of education enrolment and/ or graduation, medical/ health and life/accident insurance, valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out and be able to provide insurance documentary proof at the time of their selection;
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNCDF but to complement an intern’s studies & learning growth
- There is no expectation of employment at the end of these internships.
- In your application, please state in one paragraph why you would like to be considered for the internship and your primary motivation to apply for this role;
- Please note that you will need to answer the mandatory questions on timeframe and availability (under Additional Questions section), which is a part of the internship application process, in addition to your cover letter;
- Please submit your Resume/CV and an application using the UNCDF Internship Application form: http://www.uncdf.org/download/file/127/2509/internshipdoc
- Applications should include the application form and latest resume. Applicants are welcome to submit any additional work samples or portfolios in one single file, preferably PDF;
- Please note that the UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents (CV/ Resume, Cover Letter etc. into a single file before uploading).
- Interested candidates can apply at any time indicating the timeframe of their availability in the internship form. However, only those candidates selected for interviews/ further assessment by hiring managers will be contacted.