ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems. ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all. INTERNSHIP: 7INTERNSHIPS-2020/BD Organ: The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas:Apply Now
- Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department
- Partnerships for Digital Development Department
- Digital Networks & Society Department
- Digital Knowledge Hub Department
- Participating in the creation of a database of ICT based solutions in the areas of agriculture, health, public services, and education.
- Learning and supporting planning for the development and implementation of digital services in identified countries.
- Support the development of concept notes and projects for smart village pilots.
- Support the organization of E-agriculture Solutions Forum 2020.
- Researching and identifying successful digital agriculture projects using new technologies suitable for FAO-ITU publications on E-agriculture in Action.
- Good working knowledge of the role of ICTs in other sectors (in particular digital government, digital agriculture).
- Excellent knowledge of MS-Word, MS-Excel, and MS-PowerPoint.
- Excellent research skills and very good knowledge of global trends in this area of work; Ability to think analytically and problem solving.
- Very good oral and written communication skills.
- Practical experience in the development and deployment of ICT for digital services would be an advantage.The candidate will acquire excellent knowledge and experience in:
- developing digital services programs,
- e-agriculture solutions deployment and alignment between strategy and application,
- latest trends in using ICT technologies for development.