Grade : N/A
Parent Sector : Social and Human Sciences Sector (SHS)
Duty Station: Doha
Job Family: Social and Human Sciences
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 25-06-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Context and Programme Background
The UNESCO Doha Office is extending its support to Member States to address topics related to Social and Human Sciences (SHS). The office focuses on advancing the Sports for Development Agenda in Qatar as well as promoting further Youth engagement and participation in all its activities and projects. The sector also addresses other issues such as Social Transformation (MOST program), Intercultural Dialogue, Ethics of Science and Technology, etc.
The SHS programme provides advocacy, awareness raising and Technical Support to relevant stakeholders to better address and understand the societal challenges and actions required towards achieving inclusive and resilient societies.Long Description
Tasks and Expected Outputs
In general, the intern is expected to perform the following duties:
- Assist the preparation of written inputs as required (concept notes, presentations, Press Releases, etc.) by conducting Desk Research and synthesis of information with regard to topics related to SHS program priority areas (Youth and Sports);
- Assist in researching, gathering documentation and stakeholders Mapping in Qatar and the region related to “Sports Diplomacy” concept.
- Build a database of national and/or regional institutions and partners related to Youth affairs, as well as youth-led Civil Society Organizations and youth leaders.
- Assist in preparing communication materials, social media content and official correspondence for the SHS sector
- Stay abreast of major events and activities in the region, as well as keeping track of the launch of major global and regional reports on topics pertaining to SHS sector.
- Support preparations for SHS activities and events such as ensuring all necessary logistical arrangements; preparing list of participants for any meetings/workshops/events organized by UNESCO; documents translations English to Arabic, or vice versa, as required, etc.
- Submit a weekly log/progress report summarizing work activities for the week; and
- Undertake other duties that will be required by the Supervisor or the Director of Office as discussed and needed.
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. Applicants to the internships must meet the following academic requirements at the time of application:
- Completed university studies in social and human sciences (bachelor's degree or equivalent) at a university or equivalent institution prior to commencing the assignment;
- Enrolled in a graduate programme (second university degree or Master's degree or equivalent, or higher), at the time of application; or
- Have graduated with a university degree (first or second degree as defined above), and must start the Internship within one-year of graduation.
- Languages: should have an excellent command, both written and spoken, of English and Arabic.
- Computer skills: must have an excellent knowledge of computer systems and office-related software.
- Team player: should be able to work well in a team and adapt to an international working environment.
- Communication skills: should possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated interest in UNESCO’s mandate.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain Gender Parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.