- Ensures high quality of the implementation of community infrastructure contracts and other related activities, such as – preparing tender document, tender evaluation, developing contract agreement, managing contract and certifying work completion;
- Assist town teams, Local Government Institutions and the government counterpart for ensuring quality Infrastructures delivery;
- Provide inputs for monitoring, reviewing design, estimate and drawing of different proposed community infrastructures and data collection throughout the project cycle) and outcome survey, analyzing outcomes data and generating lessons and knowledge products to inform project’s strategic directions and policy outcomes;
- Develops and manage partnerships with on-going and proposed urban projects that directly or indirectly benefit urban poor communities and specifically the extremely poor;
- Networks with key stakeholders to promote urban poverty reduction policies, urban resilient infrastructure planning and policies and sustainable and equitable services provision for the urban poor and extreme poor.
- Provides input in designing and conducting baseline and other surveys/studies related to IUS (Infrastructure and Urban Services) during Implementation Phase;
- Provides input on participatory Monitoring and Evaluation introduction construction quality ensuring a=mechanism in participation with community people;
- Ensures inclusion of the extreme poor and the most vulnerable/marginalized populations in IUS delivery;
- Coordinates planning of assigned towns for annual IUS delivery in line with the annual plan formulated by the project management team;
- Ensures annual delivery of IUS activities against the annual plant to review the contractors work plan and guide accordingly;
- Supervises staff processing community infrastructure contractions to ensure relevance, viability and sustainability of the project activities proposed in community contracts;
- Ensures quality of IUS delivery in terms of targeting, delivery processes and results;
- Coordinates with the City Liaison coordinators and the Town Managers on technical issues concerning output 5;
- Provides support to the preparation of progress reports, briefings etc.
- Ensures inputs in planning IUS activities;
- Provides high quality technical inputs through guidelines, recommendations and well-designed steps for implementing sector development and cross cutting activities;
- Adequate Technical Support to and coordination with town teams in their areas of works;
- Community contracts and implementation in IUS works;
- Constant monitoring of implementation processes and results in the IUS works;
- Undertakes day to day supervision of IUS works-ensure the material test and other construction quality ensuring test at regular basis;
- Analyzes through gender-sensitive framework to examine the trends and lessons for informing management decisions on changes in project policies and project direction;
- Works with KM/M&E for providing inputs in designing outcome survey and other monitoring tools to track results of IUS activities;
- Supports the development of proper baseline, database, participatory M&E system;
- Disseminates knowledge products to concerned stakeholders for policy outcomes;
- Identifies potential projects and programs in assigned LIUPC towns for developing linkages to address climate change, small scale infrastructure and city resilience;
- Assists assigned LIUPC towns and cities to identify local partners in towns for developing linkages and partnerships for service delivery and capacity development of cluster leaders for delivering community based services;
- Manages partnerships for effective service delivery though regular monitoring of intervention processes and results.
- Networks with government departments and agencies, national and international NGOs, academic institutions and Civil Society Organizations to promote urban poverty reduction policies, climate change resilient planning and sustainable urban services provision for the urban poor and extreme poor;
- Contributes to policy research and Analysis for evidence based advocacy;
- Contributes to Mapping of development issues in the areas of urban extreme poverty reduction and strategic opportunities in the form of professional papers and reports;
- Provides support to and be directly involved in the project’s capacity building efforts aimed at government counterparts, civil society groups, media and other stakeholders;
- Contributes to the production reports and publications;
- Responds to the various government and non-governmental agencies requests for advisory and support services and lead the support from the project as required by the stakeholders.
- Promotes UN’s values and ethical standards (tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation, impartiality);
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP’s Country Office;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Provides inspiration and leadership to project staff as well as all the partners.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Capability to engage in team-based management, experience of leading workshops and being a resource person;
- Ability to undertake Results-based Management and reporting;
- Ability to oversee timely project implementation and to provide the necessary trouble shooting to keep project implementation on schedule;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets and work plans;
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change;
- Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral): Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners, Respectful and helpful relations with all UN/UNDP staff.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or Experienced Diploma in Civil Engineering from any reputed university.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience for Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering and minimum 10 years relevant experience for Diploma in Civil Engineering;
- Must have experience in related to construction, infrastructure, water, sanitation and solid waste, preferably from a community-based approach; with a focus on urban infrastructure and services and climate change resilient urban development;
- Working experience in UN organizations/ International donor organizations/INGO will be preferred;
- Demonstrable working experience in structural and non-structural measures of climate change resilience and disaster management;
- Experience in environmental assessment for different infrastructure development;
- Experience with managing community contracts for the implementation of small scale community infrastructure activities;
- Working experience in gender responsive programming/implementation of small scale infrastructure improvement, urban services provision, and climate change resilience and disaster management;
- Significant experience of community based development projects preferably in urban context;
- Experience in strategic and operational planning and implementation of activities;
- Experience in report writing, making presentations and use of computers;
- Experience in riding motor cycle with valid driving license.
Knowledge and skills:
- Ability to think clearly and analytically;
- Ability to plan own work, setting priorities and complete it under pressure or when faced with competing demands;
- Knowledge on Construction Management and materials quality testing;
- Committed to a facilitating working environment;
- Working with multidisciplinary teams;
- A sound knowledge of financial control procedures;
- Knowledge on RBM, data base and progress reporting;
- Use of computer for reporting, presentation and financial control.
- A strong commitment to gender sensitive, inclusive and pro-poor development works;
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary team;
- Willingness to learn from others;
- Willingness to stay full time in any of the project towns and travel as required
- A commitment to UNDPs approach and values;
- Consultative and empowering management style and willingness to learn from others.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Bangla.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, ethnicity and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and people living with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.