Planned Monitoring and Evaluation (PME)
Support to Country Programme Document 2022 - 2026 Process.
Harare (Remote Based)
Support the development of ZCO’s Country Programme Document (2022-2026), including the Coordination of the CPD taskforce and facilitation of key CPD related events i.e. Strategic Moment of Reflection and consultation exercises. .
Start and End Dates
1 November 2020 to 31 March 2021
Child of PMEBackground and Rationale The current UNICEF Zimbabwe Country Programme Document (CPD) 2016 to 2021 (extended in February 2020) supported the implementation of the Zimbabwe Agenda for Sustainable Socio-Economic Transformation (Zim Asset), 2013-2018 and its interim successor the Zimbabwe Transitional Stabilization Programme (2018-2020). The Zimbabwe UNDAF (2016-2020) was also extended to end in 2021. The Government of Zimbabwe is developing a new National Development Strategy (NDS) 2021-2025. While the NDS will begin one year before the new UNSDCF and UNICEF CPD, the rationale for extending both the CPD and UNSDCF was to provide more time for the UN to understand the developments and results of the new NDS and have more time to ensure alignment to this document. UNICEF Zimbabwe aims to submit of the draft CPD 2022-2026 (TBD) to the UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office on 31 March 2021 in order to make a submission to the September 2021 UNICEF Executive Board. As part of the CPD development process, between October 2020 and March 2021, ZCO will undertake a number of internal and external reflection exercises (including the Results Based Management workshops, as well as the Strategic Moment of Reflection) and develop strategic planning documents, such as the Programme Strategy Notes, which feed into the final CPD. ZCO is seeking support from a Strategic Planning Consultant to support the CPD development process. Overall Purpose Support the development of ZCO’s Country Programme Document (2022-2026), including the coordination of the CPD taskforce and facilitation of key CPD related events i.e. Strategic Moment of Reflection and consultation exercises. The Assignment Under the supervision of the Deputy Representative and in close consultation with the Chief of PME, the consultant will support the CPD development process, ensuring that the overall process is efficient and light, participatory and consultative and deeply grounded in evidence and ‘reality’ yet forward looking, strategic, ambitious and in line with UNICEF’s commitment to making a difference for the most vulnerable and left behind. In addition, the Consultant should ensure that the process builds on best practices and follows organizational guidelines and timelines. The consultant will work closely and receive support from ZCO’s CPD Taskforce, led by the Dep Rep/PME Chief. The consultant will:
- Support the coordination and oversight of the overall CPD process
- Support the CPD taskforce to keep oversight of the CPD process, coordinating CPD TF meetings and documenting discussions and actions arising.
- Oversee the detailed CPD Development Plan and update as required
- Support the ongoing development of the Programme Strategy Notes (November to December 2020)
- Ensure oversight of the development process as per road map
- Work with sections to ensure strong evidence, analytical approach and logic applied to Design/adaptation of strategies and leading to the medium and long-term vision for the country programme;
- Support the programme consultations
- Review the PSNs and provide feedback, including ensuring the PSNs adhere to global guidance and meet global standards
- Ensure a solid first draft of programme strategy notes for submission to ESARO; support the sections in the incorporation of feedback and comments from the RO and the finalization of the PSNs.
- Support the Strategic Moment of Reflection (November 2020), with PME and the CPD taskforce:
- Develop the concept note and agenda and determine participation
- Facilitate the SMR process, including facilitating and capturing inputs from key development partners (Donors, NGOs, UN and Government)
- Ensure the content arising from the discussions is well captured.
- Country Programme Document (February to March 2021)
- Based on the SitAn and discussion papers, the Strategic Process of Reflection and the PSNs, as well as other consultations and notes and feedback, provide a solid first draft of the Country Programme Document, that adheres to global guidance and meets global standards.
- Incorporate comments from RO and support in finalization of the CPD
CPD micro-plan regularly updated
Support draft PSN development
High quality draft PSNs are produced
Support the preparation, facilitation and documentation of the Strategic Moment of Reflection
SMR conducted and note for the record produced
Support for PSN finalization after RO feedback
PSNs final draft produced
Develop draft CPD
Draft CPD produced
CPD finalized after RO feedback
Final draft CPD produced
Total days 50 daysRequired qualifications, expertise, technical background and experience of the International Consultant
- Qualifications – Masters or PhD in a programme area related to UNICEF’s work.
- Employment experience – a minimum of ten years of senior level professional work experience at national and international levels.
- Language skills: spoken and written fluency in English.
- Experience in planning and facilitating consultations with large and small groups.
- Familiarity with UNICEF’s planning processes will be a solid advantage.