This position is advertised to internal and external applicants.
As reflected in paragraph 37 and 38 of the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS), this Job Opening is open to internal candidates.
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).IT Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Under the overall supervision of a (Senior) IT Officer, the IT Associate provides reliable and timely IT services on the application and infrastructure of UNHCR standard IT services in the Area of Responsibility (AoR). S/he receives technical guidance from the supervisor responsible for the Telecom/IT infrastructure in the region in which the field or Emergency-operation" id="link" class="link">Emergency Operation exists. In offices where there is no IT Officer, direct supervision may be exercised by the (Snr) Admin Officer as applicable in the duty station.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist in on-site Needs Assessment and installation and maintenance of UNHCR Telecommunications and IT equipment.
- In consultation with the supervisor, establish the IT requirements in Field Operations, taking into account the overall IT and Telecom strategy of the region, the operational needs and the Security constraints.
- Install and configure the most appropriate type of UNHCR IT and Telecommunications systems (HF, VHF, UHF, Microwave Links, Telephony, and satellite systems) to meet the field and emergency operations immediate IT needs.
- Ensure that the equipment under his/her responsibility is in good working condition, by inspecting regularly the hardware and installations. If required, arrange promptly repairs or replacement as necessary according to established procedures.
- Maintain records of the installations and repairs/replacements done and keep the supervisor fully informed on the status of the equipment.
- Provide each office, where equipment is installed, with full information for their Asset Management records.
- If applicable, keep a proper inventory level of all sites spares and return spare parts for repair/replacement.
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Printers, LAN points, Hubs, Patch pane, etc. to prevent faults occurring.
- Add or remove users from the Network.
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate records of users and usage of the Network.
- Carry out minor hardware maintenance.
- Provide Technical Briefing/Training on the equipment to local IT resources and users, including IPs, ensuring that they are able to maintain/use the equipment.
- Assist in the development and configuration of IT and Telecom Equipment/Kits used in field operations and emergencies.
- Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents / problems.
- Escalate issues to supervisor if incident / problem cannot be resolved with scope of responsibility.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For FS5 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience relevant to the function or particularly on HF/VHF radio or IT systems, PAMA satellite systems, PABX, Cisco routers and satellite modems. Knowledge of computer application packages such as MS Office.
Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset. Previous experience in Emergencies is an advantage. Training experience.
*IT-IT Microwave Technology;
*IT-IT Satellite Communications (VSAT);
*IT-IT Radio Communications (HF, UHF, VHF);
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L2 - Accountability Level 2
C002L2 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 - Communication Level 2
C004L2 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 - Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 - Organizational Awareness Level 2
M001L2 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 2
X001L2 - Analytical Thinking Level 2
X002L2 - Innovation and Creativity Level 2
X003L2 - Technological Awareness Level 2 English is Essential.