UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Created by UN Women, the HeForShe solidarity movement for gender equality provides a systematic approach and targeted platform on which men and boys can engage and become change agents towards the achievement of gender equality. HeForShe invites men and boys to build on the work of the women’s movement as equal partners. Under direction from the Communications Specialist, HeForShe is looking for a Communications Consultant who will be responsible for supporting the development of the HeForShe movement’s communication strategy and execute a social media campaign on the flagship campaign, the ‘HeForShe Year of Male Allyship’, launching March 2020 through to March 2021. The communication consultant will work to increase male engagement in terms of social media engagement and increased concrete action on the topic of gender equality. The Communications Consultant will also support in partnership engagement in crafting compelling content for both organisation’s social media as well as support on managing social media for the upcoming launch of HeForShe’s landmark solutions for gender equality. This is an ideal position for a hardworking, attentive, and outgoing individual looking to work in a collaborative and collegiate workplace learning from, with, among smart, interesting, and fun professionals.Apply Now
Duties and ResponsibilitiesDevelop engaging and compelling content for a variety of audiences in support of the initiatives’ 2020 Year of Male Allyship Campaign
- Leverage knowledge of marketing communications strategy across all channels including print, web, social media, mobile and video to grow the movement
- Coordinate communications and information flow from existing partners aligned with the campaign delivery timeline
- Uses of Creative digital and print marketing tools including dynamic emails, websites, blog posts, images, and video that enhance marketing efforts
- Guarantees the quality of site, email and digital content to ensure copy, images, hyperlinks, and other assets, meet branding guidelines and are fully functional
- Assumes accountability for accuracy and integrity of content
- In support of initial roll out strategy , identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance the visibility of the HeForShe movement and ensure its sustainability as a movement
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to UN missions and other stakeholders to ensure their engagement in the HeForShe movement
- Guide and collaborate closely with communications colleagues in other offices to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives and to ensure content is localized and easily ready for use by country offices
- Support in carrying out due diligence on prospective partners for 2020 and beyond
CompetenciesCore values and Guiding principles: Integrity:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Take charge of self-development and take initiativeWork in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Functional Competencies:
- Very good understanding of social movements and experience in communications at the international level;
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective communication strategies and campaigns;
- Proven ability to work with diverse teams at an international level;
- Very good writing skills in English;
- Good understanding of graphic/visual design and photography standards;
- Basic understanding of content management systems;
- Very good organizational and time management skills;
- Proven skills in communication, networking, and advocacy;
- Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Familiarity with the UN system;
- Familiarity with gender issues.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- An Undergraduate or Master’s Degree (preferred) in International Politics, International Relations, Communication, Arts, Marketing or other related field is required. Undergraduate Degrees require further two years’ experience.
- One year experience in communications, social media, press relations or similar is required
- In depth knowledge and experience of working with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop) is required.
- Experience working for or familiarity with the UN system is a preference
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset