UNDP in Ukraine is fully committed to help with resolving the immediate crisis and to support the Ministry of Health of Ukraine in its mid- and long-term efforts to reform its procurement and Supply Management system. UNDP brings its extensive expertise in establishing the procurement system that corresponds to the highest standards of transparency, accountability, cost-efficiency, equity and sustainability.
Since 2015, UNDP implements a project that aims at strengthening the national health care procurement system and thereby improving the effectiveness of diagnosis and treatment of the patients of Ukraine. Specifically, in the framework of the project, UNDP does (i) procure medicines and medical products for the National Public Health Programmes, (ii) strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Health to ensure transparency, accountability and effectiveness of the public procurement of medicines and other medical products.
The HIV epidemic continues to increase in Ukraine, especially among key populations at higher risk of HIV. The most affected by HIV are people who inject drugs (75% are men and 25% are women; 22.6% HIV prevalence), prisoners (96% are men, 4% are women; 8% HIV prevalence), men who have sex with men (7.5% HIV prevalence), sex workers (5.2% HIV prevalence). As per UNAIDS division of labour, UNDP continues cooperation with city administrations (including Fast Track cities), law enforcement representatives and judges to reduce stigma and discrimination towards people living with HIV and people affected by TB as well as LGBTIQ+ people in order to support the government in achieving the 90-90-90 targets and Sustainable Development Goals.
The Project is clustered in the Health and Transparency Programme. The UNDP Health and Transparency Programme (H&T Programme) is aimed to support the implementation of the health reform in Ukraine through strengthening the medicine procurement capacity, enhancing the efficiency, effectiveness, transparency and accountability of the national healthcare procurement system and address the social, economic and environmental determinants of HIV and health, under UNDP Democratic Governance Portfolio.
To this end, UNDP seeks a Health Programme Officer to provide expertise and support for effective implementation of the goals and objectives of the Health and Transparency Programme related to the ongoing healthcare reform, Capacity Development of the government in public procurement of medicines, sustainable healthcare and HIV and TB response at local and national levels.
The incumbent will accelerate gender equality and women’s empowerment within all implementations and promote UNDP’s mandate as a gender-responsive organization with zero tolerance to any kind of discriminatory and abusive behaviour, including sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Provide programmatic support to ensure timely implementation of the Health and Transparency Programme activities in compliance with annual work and project implementation plans (healthcare reform, capacity development in public procurement of medicines, access to Essential Medicines, anticorruption efforts in healthcare, sustainable healthcare, infectious diseases and NCD response, health policy and human rights) including supporting effective reporting on progress vis-à-vis planned activities and expected outputs in line with both the corporate and government requirements;
- Provide strategic inputs on HIV and health program development, health policy and strategic cooperation;
- Support resource mobilization initiatives and programme development;
- Advise on interlinking the Health and Transparency Programme activities with national and local Public Health Centres, MOH and relevant NGOs/CSOs plans (when applicable);
- Support capacity development interventions for health and social workers, law enforcement officers, judges and other relevant stakeholders to reduce disease-related stigma and discrimination of key populations;
- Liaise with national authorities, other members of the UN Joint Team on AIDS in Ukraine, Civil Society Organizations, key populations representatives, as well as other regional and international stakeholders when tasked to do so;
- Ensure the development of cross-project linkages with other relevant UN projects and programmes and other stakeholders’ projects in order to create synergies;
- Ensure mainstreaming of gender equality considerations in the field of expertise, promotion of a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behaviour, and gender-responsive communications based on corporate principles;
- Contribute to organisation of events linked to the Programme goals and objectives;
- Prepare reports, memoranda, briefs, presentations and other materials related to health policy and reform;
- Prepare interim and final reports/briefs, article for the corporate social media and contribute to the interim UNDP reports;
- Contribute to the project annual and implementation work plans preparation based on the requirements of UNDP and project donors;
- Contribute to Data Collection, Analysis and maintenance of projects related database and files;
- Participate in project activities (meetings, round tables, conferences, other public activities) preparation, implementation and follow up;
- Provide inputs and comments to drafted and/or developed materials and reports;
- Represent UNDP Health and Transparency Programme at routine meetings with UN agencies, other development partners, GOU, other stakeholders’ professional and official meetings and events when tasked to do so.
- Full and appropriate use of UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures and Standard Operating Procedures during implementation of the Project;
- Results, experiences and lessons learned during implementation of project activities documented;
- Reporting on and quality monitoring of activities completed.
- Relevant sections of the annual work plan and project implementation plan are fully and timely implemented;
- Project and component activities of the Health and Transparency Programme are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Demonstrate/safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Act as a team player;
- Encourage and participate in open communication in the team, communicate effectively;
- Create synergies through self-control;
- Manage conflict;
- Informed and transparent decision making;
- Gender mainstreaming.
- High sense of responsibility to ensure that operational objectives, policies and requirements are met;
- Good facilitation skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Familiarity with UN/UNDP project management procedures would be an asset;
- Excellent usage of computers and office software packages;
- Proven writing skills.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Public Health, Pharmacology, Pharmacogenomics and/or medical degree.
- A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible experience and proven track record in the field of health programme/project supporting, social policy development and analysis or related field;
- Experience in health Development Projects related to HIV and TB areas would be considered as an advantage;
- Experience of carrying out analytical work, preparing briefs, reporting and contributing to reports is required;
- Experience in health reform and capacity development is required;
- Previous experience of work in the UN/international organizations would be considered an advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.