Action Against Hunger began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming. In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition Development Projects in Jigawa and in Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations to address the Nutrition, Health, Food Security and livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. In the year 2019 alone, our work in Nigeria reached approximately 1.8 million people. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe, 6 in Jigawa and in Kano state.
Action Against Hunger Nigeria programme is supported by DFID, ECHO, GAC, OFDA, SDC, UNICEF, EU, USAID, AFD, SIDA and GFFO. The total budget amounted to approximately 50 million USD in 2019. The country team comprises of over 600 staff with about 30 international employees. Other than the Coordination office in Abuja, there are four state offices in Damaturu, Maiduguri, Dutse and Kano and four sub bases including Monguno, Potiskum, Bade and Damasak.
The current role is managing 3 Deputy Head of Department. The projects covers both Development and Humanitarian context so it will be good to have experience on both side of the approach.
All Borno based international staff are assigned permanent rooms in the guest house in Maiduguri and Monguno. A large number of international staff are working and based in Maiduguri during the weekend and other natinal holidays the internationals taff are having get together in which they come together and having good time. In the city there are many departmental stores/super markets from where one can get easily the items for the daily use.
The security situation in Borno is fragile and remains a bit unpredictable.
You will be defining the strategies and coordinating the activities of Action Against Hunger in the fields of Nutrition and Health (Focusing on long term strategic direction including humanitarian operations).
More specifically, your responsabilities will be to:
- Design, develop, and evaluate actions in the field of nutrition and health
- Monitor and coordinate programmes in the fields of nutrition and health
- Manage the Nutrition and Health team in capital and field if any and be the Technical/Support Manager of the Nutrition and Health Program Managers [with D-HOD]
- Develop and launch programmes in collaboration with governmental and local agencies
- Represent Action Against Hunger and its positioning in the field of nutrition and health
- Engage with nutrition and health sectors, the Ministry of Health, the state health departments, and other I/NGOs
You hold a Master degree in Public Health, Medicine or Nursing with 7 years minimum of professional experiences with NGOs in Nutrition & Health.
You are recognized for your technical expertise in nutrition & health programming and have a consolidated experience in project cycle management, strategy development, monitoring and evaluation, in addition to PCM.
You have a strong ability to provide Technical Support in project proposal and strong skills in management and staff capacity-building.
Excellent diplomacy, negotiation and representation skills (nutrition & health cluster mechanisms) are required.
A proven capacity to work in a complicated security environment would be an asset.
Your English is fluent (spoken and written).
Specific conditions / salary:
Contract: 12 months fixed term contract under French legislation
Compensation and benefits :
- Monthly gross salary from 2450 to 2800 € upon experience
- Per diem and living allowance: 539 € (cf eurocost) net, field paid.
- 450€ as country allowance
- 16% of monthly gross. For non-French citizen for retrocession of retirement and unemployment insurance.
- 15% of monthly gross salary as roving allowance.
- Child allowance
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- 20 RnR per year.
- 215 € at each RnR period (averagely every 3 months ).
- Support for transport tickets to the reference recovery area (Thailand)
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©
- Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
Why you should join us?
This is a mission that provides diverse oppurtunity with various spectrum of sectors in development and Humanitarian works. It is one of the mission to work and try towards NEXUS and build the foundations for New Ways Of Working (NWOW). If you have project management skills and technical depth than Nigeria mission is the one for YOU.