The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies, building prosperity and supporting a sustainable future for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change. In 2019, WFP assisted over 711,000 people in Iraq. Through providing food for vulnerable people, skills to build futures and enhanced social protection, WFP is helping the Iraqi government build people’s resilience and food security.For more information, see wfp.org/countries/iraq and ar.wfp.org/countries/iraq ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT Under the direct supervision of the Head of Erbil area office, the incumbent will lead the implementation of WFP food assistance activities across all strategic objectives of the Country Strategic Plan 2020-2024 in the geographic areas managed by the Sulaymaniah Field Office .This will encompass emergency food and nutrition responses in case of a crisis in Iraq, as well as resilience activities to help crisis affected people rebuild their lives and communities. KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)Apply Now
- Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team, including the management of out-posted human resources.
- Plan and manage WFP field operations within the area of assignment to ensure effective and efficient delivery of food assistance and that daily operational issues are timely resolved to prevent losses or delays.
- Ensure that allocated resources are used efficiently and are in line with agreed plans, and any deviations are reported to the Country Office.
- Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT) as appropriate.
- Conduct timely monitoring and evaluation of activities and prepare accurate and comprehensive reports on WFP’s operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Country Office review to inform efficient operational planning and decisions.
- Build effective and collaborative relations with the local authorities and contribute to the expertise sharing and capacity building for effective preparedness and response to food assistance needs.
- Build partnerships to improve assistance packages, develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, civil societies, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
- Ensure extensive and frequent presence at project areas, distribution sites and centres.
- Other as required.
- Has developed, or supported in the development of, single discipline work plans to support the achievement of strategic aims within a defined area.
- Has some exposure in field operations, preferably in a hardship duty station or emergency situation.
- Gained experience of analysigng local political situations and assessing risk accurately.
- Gained broader exposure across areas within a function (i.e. policy, programme etc.).
- Has gained experience managing small to mid-size financial budgets, balancing priorities effectively.
- Has experience leading a small to mid-size team to ensure the effective delivery of objectives.
- Participated in a government/ partner negotiation within area of focus.