Job Title: Head of Programming II- Mali
Job Location: Bamako, Mali
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Reports to: Country Representative
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work in Mali, where CRS has been present since 1999, is accomplished through emergency response and recovery, TB, malaria, laboratory strengthening, agricultural livelihoods, education, peacebuilding and migration programming.
As a member of the Country Program (CP) Senior Management Team, you will provide overa ll strategic direction, leadership, and management of the CP’s programming to ensure the establishment and successful implementation of large and complex programming serving the poor and vulnerable. Your leadership, management and knowledge will enable the CP to deliver high-quality programming and continuously work toward improving the impact of its programming. As part of the Senior Management Team, you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
* In collaboration with the Country Representative (CR) provide leadership and strategic direction for the design of CP strategic frameworks and plans, including the development of resource mobilization strategies to optimize the impact of large and complex programming interventions in line with regional and agency strategic priorities. Represent and promote CRS.
* Lead high-quality project design with innovative approaches that incorporate project management standards and MEAL methods, appropriate to scope, context, and technical requirements of large and complex projects. Contribute to establishment of new project management standards. Lead planning of activities across projects from different sectors to ensure integration and efficiency in implementation.
* Effectively manage senior programming talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring for supervisees. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessment for direct reports. Contribute to developing staffing plans for large and complex projects and to the recruitment process of senior project staff. Contribute to Global HOP orientation and training program.
* Lead the Business Development cycle of increasingly complex, strategic, and competitive growth opportunities from intelligence gathering and positioning to proposal development to learning and marketing to ensure quality proposals per agency and donor standards.
* Master's Degree in International Development, International Relations or relevant field.
* Minimum of 10 years work experience in a Program Management position with progressive responsibilities for an international NGO, including at least three years with successful performance in a Head of Programming position.
* Strong experience in project Grants Management for large and complex projects, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., for projects funded by multiple public donors, including USAID.
Required Languages – Excellent English language and writing skills, French fluency
Travel – Given the security context in Mali, travel will be limited and is not expected to exceed 5-10%.
* Substantial experience with successful business development activities capturing significant public and private donor funding, including serving as a proposal Coordinator for a large proposal such as the DFSA.
* Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with Church partners a plus.
* Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching and mentoring senior program staff.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: Deputy Head of Programming, Head of Health Department, Kisili Project Director, Head of MEAL Department, Food for Education Chief of Party, Business Development Specialist
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Country Representative, Head of Operations, Heads of Offices in Mopti and Timbuktu, Internal Auditor, Finance Manager, Human Resources Manager, Administration Manager, Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality, Regional Technical Advisors, as well as program quality support department staff in HQ.
External: Partner organization technical & management staff, universities, Caritas staff, USG mission, Government ministries, donors, and all relevant local and international technical institutions.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commit ment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.