Do you want to join our team in Bangladesh?
We are now increasing our programme portfolio and introducing the position Head of Programme.
Back in 2016, NRC started our support to displaced populations in Bangladesh through partnerships with local NGOs. Since then we have begin working side by side with our partners to provide assistance to Rohingya refugees and local communities through education, shelter, WASH and ICLA activities.
Today, the district of Cox’s Bazar in Bangladesh, only a few kilometres from the Myanmar border, houses one of the world’s largest refugee camps, with close to 900,000 Rohingya refugees living in temporary shelters. The concentration of people in these camps is amongst the densest in the world and the conditions are poor. People lack proper shelters, toilet facilities, clean water and food. The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), working in partnership with UN agencies and national NGOs, focuses on the protection and humanitarian needs of the affected population, including refugees, host communities and local communities in the district. As the displacement becomes more protracted, we contribute to durable solutions for the communities, allowing us to better respond to the longer term needs of the Rohingya refugees and members of the Bangladeshi population.
In 2020, our programme in Bangladesh will continue focusing on housing, land and property rights and civil documentation; education; and youth programmes; shelter construction including leanering centres and community spaces; repair of damaged housing; durable solutions; livelihoods; protection and advocacy. NRC will also be exploring an expansion into climate induced displacement in partnership with local and national NGOs and authorities.
The Head of Programme reports to the Country Director.
Duties and responsibilities
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide programme input to Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Development of programme and Core Competency strategies that are aligned to regional and global priorities and strategies
- Development of holistic and needs based programmes, including cash-based interventions and market-based programmes
- Identify funding opportunities, develop funding strategies and forecasts
- Grants management, BPO allocations and reporting to donors, including compliance with donor standards
- Quality control, M&E and organizational learning
- Capacity building of all technical staff
- In-country representation
Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
Further develop and implement the situational and response analysis frameworks
Develop a programme-based advocacy strategy in lie with the response analysis and response plans
Build strategic donor relations related to program
Develop a strategy for NRC’s participation in coordination mechanism
Develop a staffing structure for the programme team, including an outline of key qualifications and tasks.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience from a senior management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Core competency expertise
- Knowledge of cash-based interventions and market-based programmes
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in emergency and protracted crisis
- Experience of camp-based responses
- Experience from advocacy work
- Strategic thinking
- Initiating action and change
Handling insecure environments
A sense of humor is an asset!
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation's values; To be dedicated, innovative, inclusive, and accountable are attitudes and beliefs that shall guide our actions and relationships.
We can offer
Commencement: As soon as possible
Duration: 24 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
Grade: 11 - see attached NRC grade structure
Duty station: Dhaka, Bangladesh with approx 50 % travel . - Duty station may change according to operational needs
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
NRC reserves the right to conduct a full background check on candidates.