The Head of Policy, Socio-Economic Development maintains a network with colleagues from UNDP, UN Agencies, IFIs, Government officials, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society.
The Head of Policy woks under the overall supervision of the UNDP Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), in close Coordination with the Socio-Economic Development Team Leader and in cooperation with other members of the UNDP Programme Team being responsible for the following key functions.Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Lead the UNDP Country Office (CO) Policy work in the area of Socio-Economic Development
- Lead the UNDP Armenia COVID Response and Recovery efforts (2020-2021)
- Create strategic partnerships and support resource mobilization
- Advise Government counterparts and facilitate knowledge building on economic and development issues
- Advocate and promote UNDP’s mandate and mission
- Lead the UNDP Country Office (CO) Policy work in the area of Socio-Economic Development
- Serves as a key focal point for policy advice and policy dialogue with the Government, civil society, expert community, international partners – on a wide range of socio-economic issues, through the lens of integrated development solutions for SDG Acceleration.
- Leads Policy level work on SDG acceleration by serving as UNDP’s lead focal point for the newly established National SDG council.
- Leads the development of a new work stream “The Future of Armenian Cities” - a cross-team portfolio-based approach to urban development.
- Provides advisory and Technical Support to UNDP management, Socio-Economic Development Portfolio, with a focus on policy level impact, diversification, idea generation, concept development and resource mobilization.
- Coordinates and conducts analysis of data, case evidence, assessment of outcomes and impact, and research findings to distill relevant lessons from projects and programmes to inform programme and policy formulation in the Socio-economic sector;
- Conducts thorough analysis and research of the social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to UNDP programmatic documents (CCA, UNSDCF, CPD and other strategic documents.
- Closely follows social and economic development rends and statistics to forecast possible cross sectoral impacts (including impact on natural resources and natural environment), identify holistic approach and practical steps to mitigate negative impact and turn it into development opportunity with consideration of local and regional cultural and behavioral aspects.
- Advices on possible areas for UNDP support and adjustment of on-going programmes to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities, including UNDP Armenia COVID response and Recovery efforts (2020-2021).
- Contributes to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to development/economic issues; representation of UNDP in SDGs
2. Lead the UNDP Armenia COVID Response and Recovery efforts (2020-2021)
- Leads on the follow-up to the COVID Socio-Economic Impact Assessment and related actions and follows up with design of COVID recovery and response plans and related medium- and long-term measures;
- In coordination with the Team Leader, Socio-Economic Development, supports to RR/DRR in leading the Socio-Economic Sector under the UN-wide COVID Crisis Management Team and for informed dialogue with the Government, IFIs and other actors on economic development issues;
- Develops relevant high-quality analysis to the micro and macroeconomic and sectoral policies for job-rich growth, with the aim of redesigning or reorienting them to economic recovery programming effectively addressing unemployment challenge, particularly youth and women unemployment.
3. Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Develops partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation.
- Undertakes selected studies/research on emerging development concerns that feed into government/development partners processes. Periodic updates and briefs on country development situation to be used by stakeholders, CO and HQ.
- Ensures integration of the sustainable economic development dimensions across the CO, including #nextgen solutions on the future of the economy and the labor market;
- Acceleration UNDP’s overall programmatic impact by helping the CO program teams in designing structural economic measures with focus on regional and community level but relevant for national policy-making;
- Produces policy papers, research and analysis, project documents and contribution to communications in the assigned areas of responsibility.
4. Provides policy advice and options to Government counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides policy options, particularly from pro-poor perspectives, on macroeconomic and development.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and Communities of Practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Provides advice to the Country Office RBM officer and the programmatic portfolios in creating sound and data driven results frameworks in the areas of responsibility, as well as follow up monitoring and evaluation.
- Produces knowledge and communication products in the respective areas of work, in collaboration with the Country Office Communication Officer.
- Assesses the country’s economic policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, equity, etc.
- Provides training and Capacity Building support for UNDP staff and Government officials, public institutions on economic issues.
5. Advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDP mandate and mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Public and Policy Advocacy for the Sustainable Development Goals, pro-poor and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant forums, conferences and trainings.
- Support to monitoring progress and formulation of strategies towards the achievement of the SDGs.
- Management of events and publications on economic issues.
Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Building Strategic Partnerships - Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Resource Mobilization - Analyzes information, identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Development and Operational Effectiveness - Ability to manage skillfully the projects in line with UNDP rules and procedures.
Promoting Organization Learning and Knowledge Sharing - Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals - Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UDP’s mandateRequired Skills and Experience
Education:Master’s Degree in Economics. Experience:5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level. Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis. Some experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based Management Systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data. Languages:Fluency in English and ArmenianDisclaimer
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.