Post Number : 6SNIEP0061PA
Grade : P-5
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Dakar
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 09-JUL-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
The UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning Office in Dakar (“IIEP Dakar” aka “Pôle de Dakar”) serves the Africa region. IIEP’s mandate is to help UNESCO member states build capacity to plan and manage their education system. The IIEP Office in Dakar has built a reputation as a centre of expertise on education sector analysis and the development of education sector plans. This mission aligns with the Education 2030 agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
IIEP Dakar’s range of interventions has recently extended into additional lines of work in planning and management for technical and vocational training, crisis contexts, and gender equality. Modalities of intervention comprise technical cooperation, training, applied research and development, and outreach, in partnership with national, regional and international organizations.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority and the direct supervision of the Director of IIEP, and within the framework of IIEP's Medium-Term Strategy, the Head of Office provides the strategic direction and management of IIEP Dakar. The incumbent manages the IIEP Dakar Office with a particular emphasis on:
- The identification of Africa region Member States’ key needs and options in matters of education planning and management, in the context of the region’s specific demographic, environmental, socio-economic, political and security challenges and opportunities;
- The contribution of IIEP Dakar to the global IIEP strategic thinking and planning, as well as international presence and representation;
- The development of IIEP Dakar strategy and work plan within the overall IIEP Medium Term Strategy, including new lines of activities for all modalities of intervention (training, technical cooperation, research & development, and outreach & communication);
- The implementation of IIEP Dakar strategy and work plan, with a focus on results, quality, accountability and reporting;
- The management of the Office’s human resources, with the support of IIEP HR Unit, including ways of work, talent sourcing, professional development, coaching, and cross-team collaborations;
- The management of the Office’s financial resources, with the support of IIEP Administration, both in Paris and Dakar, including the establishment of a viable economic model for IIEP Dakar within the global IIEP, the restructuring of IIEP Dakar budget along core funding and project funding, and more globally the efforts towards a strategic and efficient use of resources;
- The development of strategic, financial and operational partnerships with Governments and other stakeholders and decision makers within National, Regional and International Organizations and Institutions.
- Any other tasks or orientations requested by the IIEP Direction.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
Building partnerships (M)
Driving and managing change (M)
Leading and empowering others (M)
Making quality decisions (M)
Managing performance (M)
Strategic thinking (M)
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in Education, Public Policy, Economics, Social Science, or other related fields.
- A minimim of 10 years of relevant professional experience in public policy, either in direct public service at senior level, or in institutions dedicated to research, training, or capacity development, of which at least 5 years acquired at the international level in regional or multilateral programs or institutions;
- Proven experience in managing and leading staff and teams.
Skills and Competencies
- Thorough knowledge of Sub-Saharan African institutional and Public Policy context;
- Demonstrated management skills, including the capacity to mobilize and administer financial resources, build and manage human resources, and monitor programme implementation to deliver results;
- Proven organizational skills, including in establishing priorities and plans as well as implementing them effectively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff and motivate teams in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, and to exercise supervision and control;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing, with strong representational abilities;
- Strong sense of responsibility, ethics, tact and discretion; ability to work under pressure, respecting tight deadlines;
- Ability to function effectively at senior governmental and diplomatic levels;
- Ability to build collaborative partnerships and networks;
- Ability to detect emerging educational needs to which an international research and training program could make a substantial contribution and identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks;
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of either French or English.
- Experience in developing, implementing or evaluating policies/programs/projects at senior level in national ministries of education or comparable institutions.
- Experience in developing, implementing or evaluating policies/programs/projects at senior level in ministries of finance and budget, development and cooperation, health, social services or other related departments.
- Experience in international or national response to emergency situations in the Africa region, including response to humanitarian, security, or environmental crisis.
- Experience in international or national response to ongoing challenges and opportunities in the Africa region, including in matters of employment, migration, urbanization or the environment.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of key policy trends and ongoing institutional reforms at the Continental, Regional and National level in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Particular expertise in areas pertaining to institutional capacity building in the Sub-Saharan African context;
- Particular expertise on public policy, public finance and budget, or service delivery in specific contexts (crisis, humanitarian, minorities, etc.);
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners and to participate effectively in high-level negotiations.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include a written assessment exercise followed by a competency based oral interview.