At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.Apply Now
Job DescriptionIntroduction Are you an experienced Internal Auditor wishing to lead the internal audit service of a unique Organization? The Head of Internal Audit’s position is an exciting and challenging opportunity for an experienced audit professional who seeks to build on his/her existing experience through in-depth exposure to a broad and unique audit universe in a fast-paced international environment. Join CERN’s Internal Audit Service and contribute to its mission to enhance and protect organizational value by providing risk-based, objective assurance and advice to help CERN accomplish its mission. Take Part ! Functions
- Lead the Internal Audit service (IAS) of three internal auditors in line with a plan approved by the Director-General and manage Internal Audit activities in compliance with the recognized standards of the profession, covering all of CERN's and its Pension Fund's projects, programmes and activities, including fraud investigations.
- Promote effective governance, risk management and control processes for the Organization and provide consulting and assistance to the Management in this area.
- Prepare a risk-based internal audit plan for the Organization and its Pension Fund for review by the CERN Audit Committee (AC) and approval by the Director-General and the Pension Fund Governing Board (PFGB) respectively.
- Supervise the conduct of assurance and consultancy engagements ensuring compliance with professional standards.
- Maintain a quality assurance improvement plan that covers all aspects of the internal audit activity.
- Oversee audit assessments and the production of reports to the AC, Director-General and the PFGB with observations and recommendations, and regularly follow-up on the progress made on the implementation of IAS recommendations and on their overall impact.
- Be responsible for fraud investigations and ensure that they are compliant with the Organization’s regulatory framework.
- Acquire/maintain an appropriate knowledge of the Organisation's activities and topical issues.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the External Auditors. Provide support to their mission at CERN.
- Assist the Chair of the AC in the planning and coordination of meetings and the preparation of the Committee's annual work plan.
- Network with other internal audit professionals and attend training courses to maintain an appropriate level of knowledge, competences and expertise as required by the position.
- Coordinate with other relevant functions in the Organization (HR, Legal Service, Enterprise Risk Management, Safety etc.).
QualificationsMaster's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of auditing, accounting, finance or economics or a related field. The following professional certifications will be an advantage:
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA).
- Certified Information System Auditor (CISA).
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE).
- Extensive and progressive experience in senior leadership positions, preferably in audit, investigation, evaluation and inspection functions in large institutions including, but not limited to, international organizations, governments, the private sector or non-governmental organizations.
- Demonstrated and recent experience in the function of CIA (Chief Internal Auditor) or deputy CIA in a large organization (> 500 employees).
- Fraud investigations.
- Pension fund auditing.
- Assessment of internal control, risk management and governance processes.
- Risks assessment for auditing purposes.
- Performance auditing.
- Compliance auditing.
- Financial auditing and IT auditing using professional audit methodologies.
- Working in the interest of the Organization: behaving consistently with CERN's values and goals; voicing support for the Organization and its goals.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; listening actively to others and lets others speak.
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely; adopting a pragmatic approach; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Leading with strength and credibility: acting as role model and leading by example; using power and/or position in the interests of all; demonstrating authority and being accountable for decisions and effective functioning of the team.
- Creating vision and strategic partnerships: ensuring alignment to overall strategy when revising unit goals and priorities in the event of changing circumstances; demonstrating respect, diplomacy and tact with external partners.
- Spoken and written English: ability to speak in professional contexts as well as to draft texts for publications and/or official communications.
- Ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts, or willingness to acquire it rapidly.