Organizational SettingThe post is located in the External Systems Development Section of the PCT Information Systems Division. The Division implements the ICT management framework for the portfolio of business applications supporting the PCT, a highly successful patent filing treaty. The External Systems Development Section implements and supports the portfolio of externally facing business applications supporting a highly successful patent filings treaty. The applications are mostly custom built for a user base of tens of thousands of patent professionals working in both government and the private sector.
Purpose StatementAs Head of Section, the incumbent is responsible for the overall management of the Section including staff as well as on-site and off-shore external resources. The incumbent is also responsible for the successful delivery and ongoing operation of the portfolio of externally facing business applications operating under the PCT.
Reporting LinesThe incumbent works under the supervision of the Director, PCT Information Systems Division.
Work RelationsS/he works closely with the different Section Heads within the PCT Information Systems Division, PCT Operations Division, PCT Business Development Division, PCT International Cooperation Division and liaises with Security and Information Assurance Division and the ICT Department to ensure Coordination relating to infrastructure, architecture and security matters. The incumbent also works in close cooperation with external providers.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties:
- Lead, plan and control the work of the Section ensuring the effective management and efficient use of all financial, human and other resources, ensuring completion and timely delivery of work products in accordance with Results-based Management principles as well as key performance indicators; submit planning and budget proposals and activities in conformity with defined outcomes and objectives; supervise, evaluate and monitor individual and team operational performance levels, including a significant number of external consultants, and follow up as appropriate.
- Oversee the implementation of Software Development projects, including testing and maintenance operations undertaken by staff and external contractor resources distributed between WIPO headquarters and multiple off-shore development centers.
- Implement and manage a development and support model based on a combination of in-house and external resources, spanning multiple development centers and teams. Manage the relationship with external service providers including balancing the work amongst multiple vendors, ensuring conformity to procurement procedures, and evaluation and selection of resources; ensure knowledge transfer strategies are in place.
- Project manage a number of high profile, highly sensitive information systems projects, including projects with global impact, affecting business processes internally and externally for PCT users (applicants, inventors and Patent Offices around the world).
- Oversee the communication and coordination activities of the Section, and in particular develop and nurture fruitful relationships with senior management, applicants, IP Offices, and information systems consultancy suppliers worldwide.
- Contribute to and provide technical expertise on the development, evaluation and measurement of the Information Technology strategy at sectoral and organizational levels in cooperation with senior management.
- Implement and oversee global systems monitoring and customer support solutions for all external facing PCT information systems.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Advanced university degree in information technology, Computer Science, software engineering, or in an equivalent technical field. A first-level university degree in one of the aforementioned disciplines plus two years of relevant experience in addition to the years of experience requested below may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Certification in project management, e.g. PRINCE2 or Agile.
At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in developing and supporting information systems with an emphasis on bespoke applications.
Experience with information systems and project management methodologies and practices. Managerial experience. Experience with highly secure ICT solutions.
At least five years of professional experience in the area of intellectual property. Experience or training with ITIL, PRINCE2, Agile, CMMI, Business Continuity practices and or ISO Quality Management Standards. Experience with the architectural design, development and deployment of Software Applications in the public cloud environment.
Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English.
Knowledge of the other PCT Publication languages, in particular French.
Job Related Competencies (Essential)
Extensive knowledge and ability to work in the following technical fields: project management, systems Analysis, information systems security, authentication and identity management technology, relational databases, Java, internet standards and XML. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Job Related Competencies (Desirable)
In-depth knowledge of the functioning of the intellectual property system.
- Communicating effectively.
- Showing team spirit.
- Demonstrating integrity.
- Valuing diversity.
- Producing results.
- Showing service orientation.
- Seeing the big picture.
- Seeking change and innovation.
- Developing yourself and others.
Mobility: WIPO staff members are international Civil Servants subject to the authority of the Director General and may be assigned to any activities, office or duty station of the Organization. Accordingly, the selected candidate may be required to move from time to time to new functions and/or to another duty station.
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment. Please note that this estimate is for information only. The post adjustment multiplier (cost of living allowance) is variable and subject to change (increase or decrease) without notice. The figures quoted below are based on the July 2020 rate of 81.7%