UNOPS Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, the World Bank and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and several island states.
KEMC has its own Technical Services Unit (TSU) which comprises a core group of technical staff supplemented by experts employed on a retainer basis. The group conducts feasibility studies and assessments and engages in design and monitoring work. The core group’s skills include Civil, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Ground surveying and GIS, Architects, Design Associates and Quantity Surveyors.
The Ground Surveyor Analyst-Retainer will provide additional capacity and particularly to the land surveying and GIS team. Under the overall supervision of the TSU Manager, the Ground Surveyor Analyst -Retainer
will give his/her technical expertise as required to carry out ground survey works as required for bulk earthworks projects and most importantly on a new earthfill dams remediation project in Zambia.
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve but not limited to:
Review and analysis of existing survey and Geographic Information System
(GIS) related documents
Carry out, guide and supervise ground survey of as built structures in the field
Analysis of raw survey data and reporting
Preparation of AutoCAD files of as built structures, identifying benchmarks and presenting contour maps
Use and presenting data in google maps (.kmz formats)
Any other duties as directed by the TSU Manager
A bachelor's degree in Surveying Technology, Land Surveying, Geomatics, Geospatial Engineering or Civil Engineering is required
A technical professional diploma in Surveying Technology, Land Surveying, Geomatics, Geospatial engineering or Civil Engineering or similar with 4 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the bachelors degree.
Minimum 2 years’ experience in topographical surveys of at least one earth work related project is required
Minimum 2 years experience in AutoCAD is required
Proficient in using latest surveying equipment such as Geodetic/Real Time Kinematic GPS, Total station, automatic levels and ability to upload/download data and generate contour maps is desired
Experience working on civil works especially on dams is an asset
Fluency in written and oral English language required. Competencies
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge.
- Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)Contract level: ICS 8 (LICA 8)
Contract duration: 1 Year renewable subject to performance and the availability of funds
Only Zambia Nationals or individuals with valid residency work permits are eligible.Additional Considerations
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
This position is based in a family duty station
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.