The Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU) is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.Background
Under the managerial and administrative supervision of the Assistant Director General, Regional Representative for Europe and Central Asia and direct supervision of the REU Agricultural Officer, provide technical support to promote FAO’s programme Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS) in the region. Programme aims at identifying remarkable and sustainable agricultural systems which contribute to food and livelihood security for local farmers and have nurtured agrobiodiversity, traditional practices and technologies, culture and landscapes. These ancestral agricultural systems constitute the foundation for contemporary and future agricultural innovations and technologies. Their cultural, ecological and agricultural diversity is still evident in many parts of the world and has been maintained as unique systems of agriculture.
The ultimate purpose of the GIAHS Programme in the REU region is to promote dynamic conservation of the site through implementation of various measures and activities to improve agricultural production, strengthen resilience, facilitate marketing and generate other income sources in the sites while maintaining the core elements of GIAHS.
The GIAHS Consultant will work under the direct supervision of the REU Agricultural Officer.Technical Focus
Support for GIAHS related activities in the Region by reviewing country proposals, development of technical papers and public relation articles on GIAHS, promotion of communication with other FAO units as well as relevant outside international organizations. Provisions of technical assistance to implement the regional activities and for governments and other stakeholders in drafting proposal documents.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the development of a Regional Strategy on GIAHS for Europe and Central Asia
- Assist the development of data collection methodology to measure and evaluate the resilience indicators in Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS)
- Provide technical assistance with the development and implementation GIAHS related activities and projects in the region
- Support the communication with GIAHS Secretariat in providing technical assistance to stakeholders in the government and private sectors in the region;
- Assist Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia in the preparation for workshops, online meeting meetings on GIAHS organized at national, regional level;
- Assist the organization of Webinar sessions:
- Promote communication among other FAO units relevant to GIAHS (agroecology, GI, biodiversity, indigenous group) ;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWINGMinimum Requirements
- University degree in agronomy, agroecology, agricultural biology, biology, land and water management (agricultural land and water, environment), agricultural engineering, agricultural heritage, rural development, agricultural policy and/or economics
- One year of relevant working experience
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Relevant experience in working successfully in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, particularly in multilateral organizations
- Essential interpersonal skills for teamwork and capacity for work and analysis in multicultural, multisector and multidisciplinary environments;
- Relevant experience in the preparation, editing and revision of technical/scientific documents and in organizing meetings and workshops.